Railroad Forums 

• NYGL Dundee Spur Status - 2009-present

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1511638  by DogBert

cjvrr wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:16 am
DogBert wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm Drove past today, equipment is still there, but the old engine house is gone. Demo crew was on site cleaning up & fixing the fence.

The building was a wreck and probably in danger of collapsing during a good storm, so it's good that it's gone regardless.
That wasn't and engine house. That was the building used to dump construction debris and other garbage and transload it to high sided hoppers. It burned twice.....

It was torn down just last week, week of June 10th.
Was it not a used for maintenance at some point? A few years back the baggage car was stored in one bay while the rest of it was filled with debris from the transload operation. I always assumed before the transload customer came in that the building was actually used to maintain rail equipment.
 #1512382  by Hawaiitiki

airman00 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 pm I read somewhere that this is or was the last street running rail left in New Jersey. Is that true?
Probably the sad truth. RiverLine in Camden is a Light Rail so I don't think that really counts because then you could count the HBLR in JC.

I lived in North Jersey for 30 years and I can't think of any street running operation left (outside of a handful of light industry complexes, but that doesn't really count either). Maybe somewhere on the M&E or one of the heritage lines on the Delaware for a half a block or so?
 #1519356  by DogBert

Sounds like effect 10/5/2019, yes.
https://www.stb.gov/decisions/readingro ... 47166+.pdf

There's no mention here of the equipment. I'm a little surprised there's no rumors or info on this? I guess if no one is talking about it, we can presume all of it will be scrapped in place? If it's going to be moved, it seems like it all would have to be moved this month, and someone somewhere would be talking about how it'll go down.

Not sure who'd want to buy what's left or have space to store it all. The GPs haven't run in ages. Can't be much of a market for those. The FA cab is rare and in good condition, but it's a shell. Would be cool to have it back on LI but neither museum on the island has money for that. The old erie cabooses have some historic value I'd imagine, while the rest is just flat cars, boxcars, the old baggage and GT passenger car (which doesn't look like it's in the best of shape inside).
 #1519638  by cjvrr

DogBert,

I have been trying to purchase the railroad speeder stored in that yard for several years. Not getting any response from the former owner after multiple attempts.

I have the means to remove it in only a few hours as I live nearby.

The new property owner will want all the equipment out within a short time and my fear is it will be going out in little chunks.
 #1520173  by DogBert

I wonder if finding and calling up the new property owner about it might not be prudent. The companies name is somewhere in the various news articles, etc. If it's all truly 'abandoned', you might be doing them a favor clearing what to them is junk.
 #1520409  by deandremouse

True. I think the name is in the abandonment filing

Too bad about the geeps. Definetly know someone who’d be interested in one or both.
 #1521347  by Sid Farkus

Even more curious about the equipment in Port Jervis. That E8 and RS-3 definitely have some sort of value. Really is sad to see how this turned.