• The Pinkertons

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by UPRR engineer

I know they did alot of work for the Union Pacific back in the day. How much work did they do for other railroads? Theres a grave yard near the old railroad town of Bryan Wyoming. They were called in to remove the railroaders distraction, from the whore house from what i understand. I know thats not really a great story but its still a piece of UP history.

by ACLfan

OK, it's Friday, and I've had a busy week, and I'm tired. So, UP Engineer, when I read your article about the Pinkertons, the graveyard and the whorehouse in Bryan, Wyoming, I missed the connections between the Pinkertons, and the graveyard and the whorehouse. What does the graveyard have to do with the story? Was something left out?

Thanks!

ACLfan

by UPRR engineer

My ex-MOP was a UP history buff. He's the one who told me the story about the grave yard. The girls in the whore house were spreading the clap to the railroad workers and keeping them from doing there job, the Pinkertons were call in to kill the whores. The grave yard with there tomb stones still stands out there north of the tracks about 30 yards from the mainline. Thats one of the stops id give directions to if any railfans were to ask where a good spot was to see trains out here.

by AmtrakFan

I think the Pinkertons were the Railroad Security company.

by UPRR engineer

I think they were more like the "blue room" .....Porta John guys.

by UPRR engineer

Anyone ever read those two big ole thick books titled Union Pacific? I have my uncles books, ive just skimmed threw them reading the parts i found interesting, I think they might have mentioned it in there without telling the whole story. To those of you that have read them does Carmichael Cut ring a bell? Or when they lit the shale rock on fire?

by slchub

I've had a couple of old heads say the same thing there at Bryan. If your holding out there some time, walk up the hill and look around. There are actually two graveyards, one for the whores, and one for the town folk. Due to vandalism, only about 3 headstones are there now, one being a tall steeple kind of memorial.

by Malibu

Just to make sure I understand this....

The Pinkertons killed the whores because they were distracting the RR employees then buried them near the tracks?

lol.... it seems rather drastic. When did all this take place?

Malibu

by UPRR engineer

I dont know, ill have to walk over again and see the date on the head stones.

by Malibu

Who were the Pinkertons??

Malibu

by Paul

The Pinkertons were a dirty lot indeed, and considering the historical arrogance of the Union Pacific since it's founding and knowing what we know of the Pinkertons today, I would imagine thats how it went down. Nobody cared about whores, so who would miss them?

I remember reading about mass graves of railroad workers that were uncovered (in Wyoming I think) along the UP RoW back a few years. It was suspected that the railroad workers were executed when it came time for pay day. I havent heard anything more about it. As a UP employee myself, I see first hand how mean and nasty these people are. Imagine 100 years ago when a human life was really cheap.

Check this link out.http://www.rootsweb.com/~wyoming/ar-bryan.htm

by jg greenwood

Nobody cared about whores, so who would miss them?

[/quote]
I must admit, be it Phu Bai, South Vietnam, Bangkok, Thailand or Camp Hansen, Okinawa, I always enjoyed a wholesome house of ill repute. :wink:

by Paul

Well, twenty years ago I enjoyed the offeringd at the two houses of illrepute at Battle Mountain, Nevada on many occasions. Wonder if they are still there.

by Malibu

As a UP employee myself, I see first hand how mean and nasty these people are.

Lol... I hope you don’t work in the PR department.

Do you know of any good web sites that have history about UP? That way I can look busy at work :wink:

Thanks

Malibu

by UPRR engineer

Thanks for the link Paul, one part of our depot is called Lynch Hall. I now know where the name came from, “Judge Lynch.”

Havent you ever watched Deadwood on HBO there jg? Pretty good look into how things were back then.