Railroad Forums 

• Riverhead NYA service

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1504985  by Teutobergerwald

What are the NYA's customers in/near Riverhead, and where are they located in relation to the LIRR station? What do they receive, and how often are they usually served? Thanks.
 #1505449  by LINYARailfan

Teutobergerwald wrote:What are the NYA's customers in/near Riverhead, and where are they located in relation to the LIRR station? What do they receive, and how often are they usually served? Thanks.
Paraco Gas which receives tank cars of LPG gas for commercial and residential use. They receive cars anywhere between once or twice a week. During the winter they receive cars almost every day.
Marjam lumber, is the only customer that receives a centerbeam in Riverhead. Not sure how often he gets served by NYA?
Both are located west of the LIRR station.
There is also the Calverton Enterprise Park further west of Paraco Gas. I believe NYA only has one customer using that spur at this time which is Eastern Wholesale Fence. Not sure how often NYA goes up and down that spur?
That is all the customers NYA currently has in Riverhead. Hope this helps.
 #1505460  by Teutobergerwald

Thanks. I thought there were more customers out there, like 84 Lumber and Riverhead Building Supply, also.
 #1505511  by LINYARailfan

Teutobergerwald wrote:Thanks. I thought there were more customers out there, like 84 Lumber and Riverhead Building Supply, also.
Riverhead Building Supply takes cars at Brookhaven Rail Terminal now and 84 Lumber is no longer a customer.
 #1505567  by freightguy

I heard Paraco may expand to the siding just west of Kroemer Ave also. With the old abandoned cabooses, not sure if that would be for storage or an actual expanded operation. I’ll believe when I see it. I think 84 Lumber also takes cars at BRT. If they could turn Enterprise Park into a giant rail served terminal that would be a game changer vs one customer that receives plastic pellets. The BRT people should grab that parcel also, NYA doesn’t really seem to market it.
 #1506455  by tj48

Passed by Marjam today. There was a centerbeam flatcar on the siding.
 #1507863  by Dump The Air

a couple weeks back while visiting the island i caught a job running east to riverhead around midnight, they ran around at the station and switched paraco. it was a real treat to chase them through the woods in calverton and manorville in the early morning hours, is this job a night time run again the way it was several years back? there was a flurry of activity at paraco as soon they arrived, it appeared that they were immediately unloading the cars right as they were spotted, which at around 1:45-2am seemed unusual. a special emergency move? train also had some yaphank emptys, what appeared to be cars for the WB trailing point siding at custom earth at YA and hi-cubes for BRT. marjam had at least one centerbeam inside the fence that wasn't switched by this job, about a week later passing by again the car had been removed.