Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1493033  by Old Muley

Amtrak locomotive spotted this morning in Dover Plains (Upper Harlem) pushing mini-bomb south. It appeared that the locomotive #'s had been recently stenciled over. I believe it was stenciled as 216. I was so surprised to see the Amtrak unit I lost my focus.

Q: Where are the BL 20's that are typically assigned to the shuttles?
 #1493037  by NaugyRR

It's somewhat amusing to me that history's repeating itself. Remember when they P40's were brought in to run these services during the transition from the F-Units to the Brookvilles?
 #1493043  by DutchRailnut

4 or 5 out of 12 BL20gh are at a overhaul company in Boise Idaho, one of things being done is replace the Rolls Royce/MTU 12/4000 diesel with a new Cummins. two units should have been back, but they have trouble with controls .
 #1496037  by NaugyRR

This Saturday morning I had a Brookville pushing my train out of Wassaic, and on the way back on Sunday afternoon I caught one of the Amtrak units on point. The train certainly felt like it had a little more acceleration with the Amtrak unit, haha.
 #1499801  by NaugyRR

If you ride enough you can usually pick up on some of those differences. Like Dutch said, an increase of 1,800 ponies is going to be felt, especially with only a few mostly empty Shoreliners.