• Italian motors

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by NorthWest

Why would they need them? According to the article it looks like they're going back on the same intercity services.
  by Benny

NorthWest wrote:Why would they need them? According to the article it looks like they're going back on the same intercity services.

Theoretically they were needed to operate the last traditional long distance trains in push-pull mode with only one driver (the new regulations permit one-man driving of passenger trains only if there is a passage between loco and coaches) but that's Italy, so things are made far more because of political and particular interests than for real needs. There is a good amount of E 402 B and turtles that still need the couple of drivers so I don't know how can be the real saving after the (expensive) job of modify body and electronics, test all and undergo to approval as a new locomotive.
Probably this move has been done to give a job to Foligno works and, more, to "eat" very much in the classical Italian style.

Ciao :wink:
  by NorthWest

Interesting, so that's why the E.464s are single ended and they didn't buy standard Traxxes like everyone else. Seems dumb to lose that flexibility.

Would've been a better idea to play around with the Tigres than the 402As.
  by Benny

In first, sorry for the absence. I watch every day the forum but I've no time to write something of interest.

When I saw this image, I immediately thought to NorthWest, that likes very much these locos.
E 402 A born, theoretically, as good-for-all horses but were generally used only on long distance passenger trains so it was rare to see one of them in freight service.
In 2001 my friend Antonio Martinetti was living near the station of his hometown Ravenna and from the window saw something red. Quick run to the yard and the surprise: E 402 A 030, still in the original livery, at the head of a coils train, a very strange service probably due to the failing of another loco.
010224-Ra1r.jpg
Taking advantage of the waiting, he bulleted himself in the peripheral and took another shot of this interesting service.
010224-Ra2r.jpg
The Ravenna harbour is one of the most active in Italy and between the few goods that still follow on by rail there are complete trains of steel coils.

Ciao :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NorthWest

Thanks, Benny! Probably never will see freights now...