Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by lordsigma12345

I disagree with the choice of train to extend. I think 4452 would have been a better choice. 9:47 AM still really is too late for morning commuting.
  by njtmnrrbuff

The second weekend run of Ctrail probably doesn’t need to go to SPG just yet and instead, CDOT should have extended the 6454 to SPG and then had 6455 moved back several minutes to use the same set as 6454. Other trains would have to have their times tweaked.
  by Kilo Echo

Traingeek3629 wrote:BREAKING: The new Hartford Line schedule is out!
http://www.hartfordline.com/pdf/2018_no ... rinted.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So 4404 (formerly 4454) is extended to Springfield, arriving at 9:47 AM. I'm extremely happy about this, because it opens new commuting opportunities for Springfield. The return train will be 4405 (formerly 4455) departing Springfield at 10:40 AM and arriving in NH at 12:12 PM.
lordsigma12345 wrote:I disagree with the choice of train to extend. I think 4452 would have been a better choice. 9:47 AM still really is too late for morning commuting.
It's not a bad choice, however, when you consider that CTrail 4405's 10:40 Springfield departure restores service once provided by Amtrak 493.
  by Traingeek3629

lordsigma12345 wrote:I disagree with the choice of train to extend. I think 4452 would have been a better choice. 9:47 AM still really is too late for morning commuting.
If 4452 is extended to Springfield, then it will either become too early for Hartford commuters (4452 is their main train) or have a weird thing where there is a train leaving HFD at 7:40, then not another one until 9:05, then one just 25 minutes later at 9:30. Anything earlier than 7:15 is too early for Hartford, but any train leaving Springfield after 8:50 makes weird frequency issues. Furthermore, you need a turnaround of at least 10 minutes. With those requirements, (barring track congestion) the only way you could get this to work is by having 4452 leave at 6:20, arriving in SPG at 7:52, leaving at 8:05, and arriving in NH at 9:37. I do think 9:47 is too late, but you can work on the train. (if Lamont goes forward with the free wifi plan) Maybe have train 4404 leave NH 10-15 minutes earlier so it arrives at 9:35-ish?

P.S. I don't like that they made 6452 the train up there. If 6454 was 5-10 minutes earlier and 6455 was 5 minutes later, maybe that would be better?
  by daybeers

Traingeek3629 wrote: Minor changes/things that irritate me:
1. Train 6455 now runs at 2:40 instead of 1:40.
2. Train 4400 is at 4:35 now instead of 4:20.
3. 4414 runs 8 minutes earlier and connects to 1542.
4. 451 connects with the 6:48 to GCT again.
5. 4401 arrives in NH at 7:57, but doesn't connect to 1539. MAKE IT 5 MINUTES EARLIER!!
Traingeek, can you explain 3 and 4 to me?

I do wish they would tighten up the connections a bit. Some of the trains don't need as much connecting time as they do now.
  by Jeff Smith

Press Release

Fair-use exception:

CTDOT ANNOUNCES NEW CTRAIL HARTFORD LINE SCHEDULE EFFECTIVE MONDAY,

NOVEMBER 12, 2018

Schedule refinements allow for additional service to Springfield and weekday connecting service arriving in New York City before 9 a.m.

The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) today announced that a new CTrail Hartford Line schedule will go into effect on Monday, November 12, 2018. The new Hartford Line schedule is not drastically different than the previous schedule, but does feature refinements that will provide more service between Hartford and Springfield as well as connecting New Haven Line service on Metro-North that arrives in New York City before 9 a.m.

The new schedule also covers operations during the upcoming holidays. Hartford Line trains will operate every day, but using a Saturday or Sunday schedule when the holiday (including Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve Day this year) falls on a weekday. Riders planning travel during these timeframes should visit http://www.hartfordline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the exact schedule.

Improvement in the new schedule came as a result of the completed installation of a second track between Hartford and Windsor, as well as schedule adjustments by Metro-North and Amtrak regional service.

The second track allows trains operating north of Hartford to pass each other quickly and efficiently, providing additional rail capacity and increasing reliability. Two sets of track now run the length of the Hartford Line corridor from New Haven to Windsor, except for a small portion of single track near Hartford’s Union Station which will be completed as part of the I-84 Hartford Project.

“The new Hartford Line schedule includes an additional trip extended to Springfield every day. We will now offer 2[JHS1] 4 daily weekday trips between Hartford and Springfield,” stated CTDOT Commissioner James Redeker. “Less than six months after the launch of the Hartford Line, we have increased service on the line and are closer to reaching the 2030 vision of rail passenger service in New England.”

The 2030 vision for the Hartford Line includes 50 trains per day between New Haven and Springfield, as well as new stations in North Haven, Newington, West Hartford, Windsor, Windsor Locks, and Enfield.

The new schedule can be viewed at (direct link to new schedule on the HL website). Hard copies of the schedule are available at all train stations along the Hartford Line corridor.
  by Traingeek3629

daybeers wrote:
5. 4401 arrives in NH at 7:57, but doesn't connect to 1539. MAKE IT 5 MINUTES EARLIER!!

I do wish they would tighten up the connections a bit. Some of the trains don't need as much connecting time as they do now.
Train #4414 formerly departed at 6:25 and connected with MNR train 1544. It now leaves at 6:17 and connects with MNR train 1542.
Train #451 originally connected with Train 1529, leaving NH at 6:48 PM. In the construction schedule that ends Sunday, it didn't, meaning you couldn't get to NY (unless you could afford the Acela) until 9:21 AM on 141, or (since they didn't market a connection from 141 to the 7:26 to GCT) 9:42 AM.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I think when people are taking an Amtrak 400 or 100 series or Ctrail trains to connect to anything at NHV that will take them to NYC, they will probably prefer to not have to pay extra money unless if they are in a big rush. Personally, any trips that I make on Ctrail or Amtrak's 400 series shuttles as well as the NE Regionals between NHV and SPG, being that I would be coming from NJ, very close to NYC, I would want to take MNR from GCT. You don't pay as much as Amtrak and you go out of a much nicer terminal.
  by daybeers

Traingeek3629 wrote:
daybeers wrote:

Train #4414 formerly departed at 6:25 and connected with MNR train 1544. It now leaves at 6:17 and connects with MNR train 1542.
Train #451 originally connected with Train 1529, leaving NH at 6:48 PM. In the construction schedule that ends Sunday, it didn't, meaning you couldn't get to NY (unless you could afford the Acela) until 9:21 AM on 141, or (since they didn't market a connection from 141 to the 7:26 to GCT) 9:42 AM.
I don't understand what you mean, because when I look at the schedule, I see that Shuttle #451 does connect with Metro-North #1529. I do agree with the other points though. On Sundays, I don't understand why #6410 doesn't leave at 7:05 or 7:08 because Northeast Regional #96 arrives at 7:01 PM and is usually on time or a couple minutes late. I'm going to write CTDOT about that, as this would reduce connection time, and in turn total travel time, from all points south.
  by andrewjw

I think it is intended that passengers would take 140 instead of 96 (and few passengers are expected to come from VA to CT).
  by lordsigma12345

As i also posted in the Amtrak version of this topic, starting tomorrow through the Thanksgiving period some Shuttles will run with SLE equipment. The trains on which equipment will be subbed appear in Amtrak reservation system as “Holiday Commuter” rather than “Shuttle.”
  by Larry

North bound platform in Windsor CT getting final fencing placed in yesterday and today. Southbound side the brick all ripped up to do drainage (should have been done long time ago) and now has to all be placed back in. With snow all around, that will be a tad harder to do. ADA ramp still does not have railings installed either. Sound bound side has been taken way to long to finish.
  by lordsigma12345

Although they tried to avoid this with a 3 car set and a Shore Line east set and capping Amtrak reservations for the holiday, this still happened; from Twitter Due to ridership demand, Amtrak Hartford Line Train #476 scheduled to arrive in Springfield 6:48 pm will only be accepting passengers holding an Amtrak ticket. Busses have been dispatched to accommodate CTrail passengers, and they are operating 5-10 minutes behind schedule.
  by Traingeek3629

I was driving out to the Hudson Valley to visit my parents, and we made a few stops along the way at Meriden, Southeast, and Derby/Shelton stations. At Meriden, we saw 460, running with 3 cars (and still full.) Obviously, there still weren't enough seats, even with the new capacity.