• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

Dick H wrote:Has any other business ever moved into that space? Thanks.
Yes, there's an accounting firm in there now.
  by b&m 1566

Hux wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:I actually agree with Kennebunk withdrawing from this, not because I don't think they should have a stop but for the simple fact that the old station site was/is just too small to meet todays needs and I'm glad the state saw that and the town eventually did too.
Agree. However, there is considerable space across the tracks, with room for several rows of parking. I haven't heard anything about that area being used.
If its the same lot of land I think it is, they already looked at that and the neighbors were against it, something to do with them not liking where the access road for the parking lot was going to be located. It's been a long time since I read up on it so, my memory is a bit fuzzy.
  by benboston

Lentinula wrote:
jonnhrr wrote:Last Sunday my son had a bad experience with the Downeaster. Was heading on 694 to Boston then transferring to the MBTA Worcester train. 694 due in at 2:45 and the Worcester train left BBY at 4:26 pm so he thought he had plenty of time. 694 was about 90 min late and he missed the Worcester train by 2 min, next one was in 2 hours. Anyone know what happened to 694? Needless to say he's not impressed by the DE.

BTW we were staying in Kennebunkport and he left from Wells. Only took a few minutes to get to Wells so I don't think the lack of a KB station is a big deal, especially if they add a shuttle.

Jon
The real crime there is that the Worcester trains are 2 hours apart!

I know the new island platform will help but the fact that WOR-BOS isnt on a more reliable schedule is ridiculous.
I know this is outrageous, but that what we get for not putting enough money into fixing our second largest city in New England. Worcester should have service every half-hour from 5:00 to 1:00
  by east point

So a realistic schedule tightening would be all of 10 minutes ? Didn't the regionals already slice 15 minutes earlier ?
  by TRNE

NNEPRA held its Annual Meeting this week and released FY2018 numbers - record ridership, revenue and passenger miles! More details and a video of Executive Director Patricia Quinn at http://www.trainridersne.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by TomNelligan

benboston wrote:I know this is outrageous, but that what we get for not putting enough money into fixing our second largest city in New England. Worcester should have service every half-hour from 5:00 to 1:00
I don't disagree with your basic point that transit in Massachusetts is underfunded, but I think it's worth noting that Worcester currently has 20 MBTA trains a day to Boston on weekdays, which is the highest level of passenger service on the B&A since the 1940s. At the low point in the late 1970s there were just three weekday trains to Framingham and none west of there at all. So it's not like there hasn't been some progress in recent years.
  by charlesriverbranch

Rockingham Racer wrote:On to Augusta.
Hallowell has paved over the track and is using it as a parking lot.
  by Lentinula

TomNelligan wrote:
benboston wrote:I know this is outrageous, but that what we get for not putting enough money into fixing our second largest city in New England. Worcester should have service every half-hour from 5:00 to 1:00
I don't disagree with your basic point that transit in Massachusetts is underfunded, but I think it's worth noting that Worcester currently has 20 MBTA trains a day to Boston on weekdays, which is the highest level of passenger service on the B&A since the 1940s. At the low point in the late 1970s there were just three weekday trains to Framingham and none west of there at all. So it's not like there hasn't been some progress in recent years.

There are some notable gaps in that schedule though. And weekend service is a disaster, despite the fact that every weekend train I've been on has been packed. Last train back to WOR on Sunday can be standing room only!
  by Renegade334

Before we head up to Augusta, I think Downeaster should add more frequent service between Portland and Boston. We need to have more options in the morning and afternoon both ways, 7 days a week
  by jcpatten

The new schedule is up. All 5 trips leave from/go to Brunswick during the week, with only one terminating/starting in Portland on the weekend.

Now it's time to add an extra morning and afternoon departure from Maine.
  by east point

jcpatten wrote:The new schedule is up. All 5 trips leave from/go to Brunswick during the week, with only one terminating/starting in Portland on the weekend.

Now it's time to add an extra morning and afternoon departure from Maine.
-

Would that require a major schedule change or another train set ? + as we understand it that would require PTC installed ?
  by Dick H

Currently, one train set only does one round trip. So, they can add a sixth round trip,
without adding more equipment, providing the timing allows for same. However, a
sixth round trip requires PAR approval and Mr. Fink will want some major capital
project in return. Way back when, that "project" was reported to be double
tracking between Plaistow and Newfields, CPF 273 to CPF 258, 15 miles and
upgrading CPF 258 to CPF 256 to at least Class #3 standards. I am not familiar
with the PTC exemption to know if all that would will end the exemption.
  by electricron

Dick H wrote:Currently, one train set only does one round trip. So, they can add a sixth round trip,
without adding more equipment, providing the timing allows for same. However, a
sixth round trip requires PAR approval and Mr. Fink will want some major capital
project in return. Way back when, that "project" was reported to be double
tracking between Plaistow and Newfields, CPF 273 to CPF 258, 15 miles and
upgrading CPF 258 to CPF 256 to at least Class #3 standards. I am not familiar
with the PTC exemption to know if all that would will end the exemption.
For non-Class 1 railroads, 6 round trips or 12 scheduled passenger trains per day is the limit, along with other FRA requirements. PAR is probably asks for more tracks to add an additional train.
  by Ryanontherails

Augusta? Rockland is where everyone wants to go next. Hopefully Amtrak will be able to do their risk assessment this winter and we'll see a pilot next summer.