• Could CSR use the ex-MEC Portland-Conway line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by DonPevsner

What are the odds of this line being restored for tourist passenger
service, to link into the Conway Scenic from North Conway to
Fabyans, NH...and possibly, one day, to restore service all the way
to St. Johnsbury,VT (and on to Montreal?)?

by CSRR573

As of now I know that the Conway Scenic is restoring the line from redstone to Intervale. Part of this line had to be moved due to the By-pass. The state has to inspect the line and when it passes, the Conway Scenic will possibly run shuttle trains down to settlers green(Thats what i heard). But i think the line from portland to Fryburg have been ripped up, and the tracks from Whitefeild to St. Johnsbury are rarely used. I dont think these whould ever be use alot in the near future, bur who knows!

by b&m 1566

Shuttle runs? Why, what for? I've been told they do have future plans to go to Fryburg, but with there current rider ship that may never happen. They don't even have enough people that ride the trains to run the notch train daily like there two valley trains. The CS even has plains to run to Whitefield but according to the CS they don't ever see themselves going pass Fabyan except for special exertions only; which they already do, but only to Hazen. Not to mention that's there only connection (currently) to the outside world. I was told once a while back that the CS was thinking of having a train come down from Whitefield, via Crawford Notch to Bartlett and return as another extrusion train, but that was only speculation and no CS employee has ever backed it up.

by CSRR573

I heard that the CS cant go past MP 101 because the NHC owns the track past there, and they would need a joint operations licence.

by b&m 1566

That could be why but I was told it had to do with insurance reasons. I guess the coverage the Conway scenic has only allows them to operate so many miles. If it is the NHC, do they not want to allow the Conway Scenic to operate? Doesn't Guilford own track in that area the Conway Scenic would have to run on for a mile or two?

by RG479

For the balance of the year, except in the Fall, most of the passengers on the Conway Scenic are families with young children. After one day at Storyland, the families take a trip on the short trip to Conway or Bartlett. The Notch Line is too long a ride. Unless the line is upgraded like the Maine Eastern run to Rockland and travel time reduced to Crawford Notch, it is not going to change. That would take state funding, which is not going to happen in NH. They provide ties, and some money for maintenance, but this comes out of the General Fund which has a very limited source of income. Highway funds derived from the gas tax cannot be used. (NH State Supreme Court decision about Nashua rail study)
Any excursion to Groveton for example, would require a reversing move at Hazens. With all the passing sidings filled with stored cars, no run-around is possible.
The wye at Quebec Jct is still in place, and with some work could be restored. This and the Bartlett wye could be used to turn steam. Better track and a faster (25 mph) run might attract new customers. This is being tried on the Maine Eastern, so wait and see.

by MEC407

CSRR573 wrote:But i think the line from portland to Fryburg have been ripped up
The section from Portland to Westbrook is intact and is owned by Guilford. The section from Westbrook to South Windham, also owned by Guilford, has been ripped up. The section from South Windham to Fryeburg, however, is intact and is owned by Maine DOT. Maine DOT and volunteers keep the line clear of brush, trees, etc.

by mb41

The branch off that westbrook line that once was the Sanford to Portland is long gone. 2002 Seashore museum got permission to rip up the rails. I helped dismantle the track.

by Otto Vondrak

The only draw I could see in Fryeburg is that annual Fryeburg Fair, which seems to be huge... I could see a special event shuttle from North Conway to Fryeburg (and then busses would have to take you to the Fairgrounds)... but when was the last time anything heavier than a hi-rail truck ran that way? It would take a lot of work for just a week-long event. Too bad there are no RDC's at Conway! Lots of good ideas, no money or support to get them off the ground.

-otto-

by b&m 1566

I believe the last train to run on the tracks in Fryburg, ME was in the mid to late 1980's (1986? or 1988?). There were still a few customers in the area that used rail (some companies are still there). For the most part though the last real train to run through Fryburg was when the last real run was made in June of 1984, consist of two GP38's, 25 freight cars and one caboose (the last train to travel through Crawford Notch).