• Bay Colony in Millis

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NYNE

Anyone know why the MBTA is trying to kick the Bay Colony out of Millis? In April they filed for a termination of the Bay Colony's right to operate the freight line in the area. The Bay Colony appealed. A few days ago the STB told the two of them to work it out, at least that is my reading of this decision -- http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/Readin ... enDocument

So, I am just curious, does anyone know what is going on?

by JAJ

There had been something of that sort there a few months ago (i.e. flexing of legal muscles?) but at this point, both parties are trying to reach a settlement, which is why the proceedings are being held in abeyance... I'm not sure what the settlement might entail, however.

JAJ

by NYNE

thanks for that information. I wonder what motivated the MBTA.

by JAJ

NYNE wrote:thanks for that information. I wonder what motivated the MBTA.
You know, Brian, I think it's all part of the ongoing effort by the T to put this segment up for competitive bid. If you recall from the last round of bidding, the BCLR surprised the T with paperwork indicating that it had negotiated directly with Conrail (now CSX) for operation of the last segment of track, whereas the T had assumed(?) that that was GAF-owned...so that put an end to that round. I think it was somewhat of a retaliatory move for the T to then take away the BCLR's operating license, in effect forcing them to the negotiating table, so that both parties can work something out both for the short term and then longer term, competitive bid-wise. That's my thinking, anyways.

JAJ

by mb41

This route from Needham Junction to Millis needs some major track work, in some areas I don't even know how frieght can handle that track. I walked accross the Charles River bridge and I was very worried about that bridge.

by JAJ

mb41 wrote:This route from Needham Junction to Millis needs some major track work, in some areas I don't even know how frieght can handle that track. I walked accross the Charles River bridge and I was very worried about that bridge.
I disagree, at least insofar as the Newton - Medfield Jct. segment is concerned...this line looks to be in good enough shape for the number of carloads it handles (~100/yr). Major track work would only be warranted if there was any decent amount of traffic to be moved.

You may be right on the Millis side, but I believe work was/has been/is being done on that side.

PS which Charles River bridge did you walk across?

JAJ

by mb41

I sure did, scary. This was three years ago I walked this line, sunday.

Well I work on track so I know that track is bad, maybe for the lights traffic ok... but still not good track.

by Malibu

Do the companies that use the RR have any say in what happens? I know the MBTA and Bay Collony do in this case but what about the companies that move freight with the trains?

Just wondering.....

Malibu

by CSX Conductor

mb41 wrote: I walked accross the Charles River bridge and I was very worried about that bridge.
Don't get too worried and report it to the BCLR, they might sue you for trespassing, LOL. :P

by ewh

I used to live in Millis down from the railroad station (now town offices) in 1986-89 and although I would NEVER trespass, all I can say is that the line has not improved since I left town. By the way, if you want a really good walk, try walking over to West Medway along the abandoned line. The rails are long gone, but the right of way is not too overgrown. West Medway was still an active commuter station into the early '60's. I feel the Millis line still has MBTA potential.
  by NYNE

I walk the section around Red Wing Bay in Needham, by the Dover line. I have watched many freights with the Bay Colony drift down the line -- they go very slow. It is very old there are a lot of track nails still there dating from the late 20s and 30s.

by mb41

I don't think anyone can sue me, look at all the people who walk on cummuter rail lines, besides my grandfather was a former Needham selectman and planning commitee, the town knows and respects me :)