• Oakfield, NY wreck/collision

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Flat-Wheeler

Nah... that's one of the Club Diamond Dust dancers walking into work.

by dummy

anybody feel the need to tuck a buck ??

by SST

I haven't walked the line since RJC was ripping everything up. The new drainage area is in place as seen above on Transit Rd. One signal tower is still standing but I doubt it will be there much longer as the new construction season is underway for Transit Rd.

Basically at this point, all the rails are gone but there are still piles of ties laying around. See : http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/d ... westshore/
  by Matt Langworthy

LOL guys! The woman is my friend Sandy. We were on our way to spend the night in Orchard Park, and took a little detour. We stopped to photograph the crossing, the DLWR and Bison Yard. Sandy didn't mind one bit. In fact, she likes to photograph graffiti, so Bison Yard was as much for her as it was for me.
  by Oldtrainfan

Oakfield Train Wreck 4-17-1942.jpg
I have these 2 pictures of the April 17, 1942 derailment in Oakfield, New York taken by my grandfather. If engine 2754 was an ?-8=2, also these picture are correct. Thank you - "Old & Weary" for all the information that we have been trying to find for a number of years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Old & Weary

You're welcome!
  by SST

I was out in Oakfield several years ago to explore the WS and what remains. Mostly a few ties left in the ground. The row immediately west of Oakfield are/were in good shape. But the more west you go, the worse it gets. In the area of cuts where bridges crossed over are all back filled in and many areas are like a creek instead of row.

While looking at these two pictures, I noticed that in the second picture the building in the background. It is still there.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0616068 ... 6656?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The water tower appears to have been replaced. The water tower in the picture above is short and fat while the one that's currently there appears taller and thin.
  by Old & Weary

The present water tower is part of the Bonduelle USA frozen food plant although it goes back many years before Bonduelle bought the plant. The water tank in the picture is in the opposite direction an was on what would have been railroad property. It is been gone for a long long time..
  by SST

I see the error of my ways. Thanks
  by SALSDP35

What was the reason (industry) that kept the line in service until 1982?
  by BR&P

The drywall plant. IIRC they used to receive scrap paper, and ship out finished drywall.