• Anyone care about intermodal?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by daybyday

I figure I have asked enough questions of all the trainservice people out there so I might as well return the favor and answer some questions instead of asking them.

I work in intermodal operations so if anyone has any questions about intermodal operations, equipment, routings etc., post them up here and I'll do my best to answer them...

DBD

by UPRR engineer

How do i get a cheap container buddy?

by daybyday

Not sure about your punctuation there UP....

Q: How do you get a "cheap container buddy"?
A: Go to your local truckstop and ask her "how much?"

Q: How do you get a cheap container, buddy?
A: Like any market, ship a lot of volume and get lower rates from the railroad.

Just being a wiseguy.

DBD

by UPRR engineer

I'm serious, (using sign language while talking---->) "How do I...... get a container for nearly nothing?"

Don't say you're going to answer any and all questions, then turn around and act like we are all college grads with A's in english, pal. I don't think hogheads as as slimy as truck drivers, but some are close. You don't have to break out the crayons and draw me a picture. :wink:
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:I dont think hogheads as as slimy as truck drivers, but some are close.
Maybe not as slimy but definitely cheaper! :-D JK.

You looking for a container to use as a Super Duty outdoor shed or someplace to store your quad? We've got lots of them in several of our yards for storing various materials and while they are certainly sturdy, most are insulated and are hot as hell this time of year. They've jury-rigged some of those peanut roaster cyclone fans on the roofs of some but they're still like ovens in the summer but with the added feature of attracting wasps.

by AmtrakFan

Is it cheaper to do TOFC, COFC or Roadrailer?

by UPRR engineer

Never thought about the heat factor, that wont do my quad any good sitting in a toaster oven "day after day"......... get it? lol

Hey day by day, those fiberglass ones cooler than the steel ones in the summer?

Me being a gloom and doom kinda guy i wouldnt mind having about three containers loaded with all things need to stay alive/make life easier. Closest thing to me is about 4 to 5 hundered for a 40 footer, if day by day could bad order me a couple of those jumbo size ones, charge me a grand or so delivered, that would be sweet.

What is it that you do or have done there day by day? intermodal operations means boss, crane operator, spotter?.... Were you a guy on Discovery Channel?

"How much ya want fur sum of them there fried tators with mustard?"

by UPRR engineer

AmtrakFan wrote:Is it cheaper to do TOFC, COFC or Roadrailer?

Cheaper? or quicker? TOFC is alot easier and faster to load / unload and get out on the road.

"I like biscuits and mustard"

"I was thinkin i might like sum more of that potted meat"
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by daybyday

My bad UPRR, I didn't realize you were asking a serious question and it just made me laugh when I though of a cheap container buddy/friend/hooker etc. We have a lot of them working daily right near my office.

To answer your question, I'm not sure where you could get a used container for storage. Talk to some of your rail people maybe....some of those old NACS boxes look like they are about ready for retirement anyway.

Regarding my position in Intermodal operation, I'm in an office behind the scenes, just making sure trailers/containers get on the right trains to go to the right destinations with the correct routing....and straightening out the issues when it doesn't go right. For example, if you see an EMPU box traveling on the BNSF, you know someone like me didn't do their job correctly and someone is getting charged a pretty penny for moving an EMP on the BNSF where rates would not be in place.

Regarding the speed of containers v. trailers v. road railers, I will have to defer the loading/unloading part of the question to UPRR as he probably sees more get loaded than I do.

Regarding transit time, generaly COFC is cheaper than TOFC since you can theoretically get twice as many on the same ammount of cars (assuming they are double stacked.) Some RRs offer guaranteed/priority service which is typically run with TOFC, however I believe UP does offer their "Blue Strek" Service for Containers.

Personally I don't do any business on RoadRailers so I'm not sure about transit time/pricing. I know Triple Crown runs a lot on them on NS, and I believe they do a lot of auto parts on them which would lead me to believe they must have some type of priority service to prevent union lines from shutting down, which can get pricey. I've also seen some Swift Trailers run on Road Railers out on the west coast but that is about it.

Basically pricing is going to be determined by a number of factors including the lane, the season, whose equipment your using, and the ammount of business you bring the railroad.

by AmtrakFan

Ok Question even though Fed Ex doesn't ship rail how come I saw one on a BNSF Z Train one after that was the only FedEx Trailer on the train that day and the only I've seen on the rails. I once saw an APL Container on a BNSF Stacker why was that?

by UPRR engineer

How many get dumped off the ship and end up at the bottom of the ocean before making it to the port?

by UPRR engineer

AmtrakFan wrote:Ok Question even though Fed Ex doesn't ship rail how come I saw one on a BNSF Z Train one after that was the only FedEx Trailer on the train that day and the only I've seen on the rails. I once saw an APL Container on a BNSF Stacker why was that?

What the........? ..... HA HA!! What are ya trying to ask there, man?

by daybyday

Ok Question even though Fed Ex doesn't ship rail how come I saw one on a BNSF Z Train one after that was the only FedEx Trailer on the train that day and the only I've seen on the rails. I once saw an APL Container on a BNSF Stacker why was that?
As I said, things don't always go as planned. Any number of things could have happened to end up with an APL on the BNSF. The interesting part is when it gets to the destination. Will that railyard put it on a chassis? Do you have to bring in a chassis from another terminal?
How many get dumped off the ship and end up at the bottom of the ocean before making it to the port?
From a June 19, 2001 article:

As you read this, more than 50,000 Nike tennis shoes are circling the globe like a convoy of tiny striped canoes.but this flotilla of footwear is hardly alone at sea. It's been joined by thousands of Tommy Pickles cartoon heads, plastic turtles, rubber ducks, 3 million Lego pieces and, at last report, 34,000 hockey gloves.

This month, Nike Cross Trainers are expected to wash up on Everett's beaches in Washington State, after falling into the Pacific Ocean in December 1999. This weekend will be a good time to comb local beaches, as low tides of more than minus three feet (one meter) are predicted.

But be patient—some items won't wash ashore for another ten years. Each year, manufacturers around the world ship more than 100 million containers—each the size of a semi-truck—on container ships, which carry on average 4,500 containers.

But not all of them will reach port.

Every year, more than 10,000 containers fall overboard and spill their cargo into the ocean. Storms are often to blame.

by UPRR engineer

10,000 a year, WOW thats alot, that would be awesome to see a whole stack fall off a ship.

by ACLfan

AmtrakFan was just trying to add to his humongus total of meaningless postings.

AmtrakFan even answered his own question, and didn't even realize it!
Hey! AmtrakFan, if you saw a FedEx unit of a train, then FedEx must ship by train!
BTW, it's fairly common to see FedEx along with lots of UPS TOFC on CSX intermodal trains!

OK, what didn't you understand about an APL container being on a BNSF stacker train? Obviously, the APL container was going to the same intermodal terminal as the stackers, and it was off-lifted and mounted on a trailer chassis, and hauled away to its eventual destination. And, the stackers went to their destinations. Simple!

ACLfan