• Pink gondola in Kenwood Yard (Albany)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Benjamin Maggi

I was driving south on I-787 past CP's Kenwood Yard (formerly D&H) and between the break of tank cars and the CP northbound mixed freight being put together I spotted alone by itself a pink gondola. It didn't appear to have any markings, and the pink was the color that sort of reminded me of the Lionel "Girls" train. It may have been a red CP gondola that faded badly, but it looked in decent shape (from the few seconds I could see it) and I didn't see a lot of rust so I am not sure.

Anybody know anything about it? Thanks.
  by BR&P

Probably stenciled with a ribbon, and the slogan "Let's make breast cancer gon for good!"

FWIW, PH&D used to have pink cabooses. Maybe they used to be red and faded, but when I saw them, they were pink!
Last edited by BR&P on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by C2629

This is not a breast cancer support car nor is it a gon, but it is pink. Train was 37T at Dale NY, June 2015. Years gone by there were also a bunch of larger covered hoppers from a grain outfit in the Midwest that were pink. I think they were Klimmee or something like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by C2629 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by BR&P

"HWCX" - that's Halliburton I believe. Car must be almost new, the vandals have not messed it up yet.
  by ANDY117

It sounds like the CP wheelset gondola that was painted in Binghamton a few years back. It's a D&H car, I just can't remember the number at the moment. It has a small pink ribbon on the sides as well as the reporting marks.
  by J.D. Lang

Sullivan scrap in Holyoke Mass, has/had some pink trash hoppers for breast cancer awareness. Maybe one of theirs.

J. Lang
  by CPSmith

Pink gondola? D&H: "...hold my beer ..."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote:Pink gondola? D&H: "...hold my beer ..."
The shop men at the D&H
Had too much to drink
Anything not out of reach
Soon was painted pink

Someone started with a gon
Another went one better
And once the game was fairly on
They finished with a spreader!

by CP4743

docsteve wrote:The Pink Gondola is still in Kenwood: looks like it's on the cripple track.
As was stated, this is the wheel gon. Yes, I too saw it on the rip tracks last night. Must have brought wheels into Kenwood.

DH 38028
  by Benjamin Maggi

I hope it is around Saturday. I will drive down in the morning and try and get a couple of shots.
  by Benjamin Maggi

I got down to Kenwood yesterday and was able to take a couple of pictures of the car. They are on my blog.
http://dandhcoloniemain.blogspot.com/20 ... 38028.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again for the helpful information.
  by TSTII

No idea why but this old folk traditionalist railfan actually finds these pink cars attractive :P