• Guilford Facing Possible Fines for Fires

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by trainsinmaine

The Central Maine Morning Sentinel reported this morning that Guilford may soon face prosecution because of alleged poor maintenance along the sides of the MEC main. Over $11,000 worth of damage has been caused by fires caused by moving trains that have set railside brush ablaze. Here's the link:

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/n ... 9767.shtml

by Guilford512

Just read that in a email I got, My question his. What exactly was the main cause, and what makes the people think the railroad cuased it?

by TPR37777

My understanding, for what it is worth, is that most states have statutes on the books going back many years requiring railroads to clear growth so many feet on both sides of their right of way to prevent fires. In addition, the exhaust systems on heavy diesel equipment (including spark arrestors) require PERIODIC MAINTENANCE to prevent carbon build up which results in the release of burning embers and subsequent trackside fires. I believe a series of fires earlier this year were linked to the movement of a train.

An example from the General Laws of Massachusetts;

Chapter 160: Section 235A Clearing of inflammable material along right of way

Section 235A. Every railroad corporation shall, between April first and December first in each year, keep the full width of all its locations, to a point two hundred feet distant from the center line on each side thereof, clear of dead leaves, dead grass, dry brush or other inflammable material, and shall not at any time leave any deposit of fire, hot ashes or live coals upon its locations in the immediate vicinity of woodlands or grass lands, and shall post in stations and other conspicuous places within its location and right of way such notices and warning placards as are furnished to it for the purpose by the director of the division of forests and parks in the department of environmental management; provided, that this section shall not prohibit any railroad corporation from piling or keeping upon its location or right of way cross-ties or other material necessary for the maintenance and operation of its railroad.

by NellsChoo

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if this is why the growth by the railfan bridge at East Deerfield yard has been cut. It is usually very overgrown...