• Boston & Maine Shops Billerica, MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by mb41

How much does Guildford still actually use this facility? It seems like almost every major RR building there is abandoned, what a shame about the huge track house with the overhead cranes in it. Ghost town in that building.

Who actually owns the old snow plow and the old old Maine Central engine that sit deacying within the sea of MBTA RTS buses?

by MikeB

I saw a BNSF truck there the other day.

by SnoozerZ49

I may be proven wrong but I thought that all the property at Iron Horse Park is owned by the MBTA. I believe the B&M had the right to occupy the buildings and use them. Yes it is a shame to see the shops isn't it? Those shps were amazing at one time. Even in the seventies they did some amazing things there to keep the B&M's tired fleet of engines and cars going.

by Noel Weaver

Sorry to say but it has been the trend in the industry to shut down and
consolidate facilities. Many big shop towns have bitten the dust.
In this particular case, Guilford does not need two separate shop facilities
in any case and I suspect the buildings in particular and the facilities in
Waterville are in better shape and more suitable to Guilford's needs than
the facilities at Billerica are.
The combined properties of the Boston and Maine and the Maine Central
do not nearly equal the size of the Boston and Maine alone of thirty years
ago.
Noel Weaver

by Rockingham Racer

I think the dispatchers used to be at Billerica, no? Are they still there?

by MEC407

Headquarters and dispatching all still take place at North Billerica, in Iron Horse Park.

by NellsChoo

Is it true the whole area is a Superfund site? In other words, really badly contaminated? I sort of hope so, that way the yuppies can't build condos there... I sure would like to take a peek around the place.

by mb41

I have been there several times to photograph the old RTS buses and Flyer trolley buses. I always peek inside that huge building with the ceiling cranes that can roll back and forth. I always picture how people worked here and then it seems overnight they were gone leaving everything in place. Like the Titantic ship :)

by riffian

For the uninformed auslander......are Billerica, North Billerica and Iron Horse Park (dumb name) all one in the same? I'm assuming the B&M shops were located here and are now shut down. thanks for any clarification!

IHP

by MikeB

I've been there dozens of times. I believe the main building is now being used by one of the lumber companies.

by MEC407

Generally, when people refer to "Billerica" in the context of Guilford, they're referring to North Billerica. Iron Horse Park is located in North Billerica. North Billerica is part of the town of Billerica.

IHP

by MikeB

Yes, contrary to popular belief, No. Billerica is not it's own town like North Reading is.

by NellsChoo

The one time we drove by Iron Horse Park, a Guilford cop drove behind us until we left the property. So this is why I feel the place is very off limits. I don't want to get in trouble for trespassing.