• Australia, inland route, Melbourne-Brisbane

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

https://inlandrail.artc.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A big scale project, thats been talked about for years.
Personally , I don't know why they don't start a service on the existing tracks, with road bridging for the 500 or so missing k's.
  by george matthews

I think the failure to build a more direct and shorter route was probably a result of the adoption of the Irish gauge in Victoria.
  by David Benton

The standard gauge link has been in place form the NSW border to Melbourne since the 70's.
Gauge wise , I think the Brisbane end is the biggest problem, with a long stretch of narrow gauge. I haven't read far enough to see if they will convert it to Standard gauge , or build a new standard gauge line. The map gives the impression it will be a new standard gauge line in a more direct alignment.
  by george matthews

I have taken the train from Sydney to Melbourne and returned. I assume that a direct connection between Melbourne and Brisbane could be quicker than going via Sydney. But would there be enough traffic to justify it?