• New B&A book!

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by douellet

Got a copy of Jerry Angier's new book "Bangor and Aroostook Railroad in Color". It's nice to see color photos of the B&A from the 50's and 60's. I really like the ones that show locos in the gray and blue paint, those E 7's sure looked sharp!

Jerry did a nice job with this book. Some of you B&A fans will really enjoy it. I got mine from Ron's Books, good service and fair prices.

Have a good New Year!
:-D :-D :-D :-D
Douellet
  by trainsinmaine

I bought a copy of Jerry's book yesterday. A great job! --- informative, well-assembled, excellent photos. Reading it made me feel wistful. It reminded me of what a class act the B&A was in its heyday. Dare we say it was one of the best-run railroads in the country? I think we dare.

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Speaking of being the 'Best run in the Country' to which I might also add my vote - the B&A was was also featured in an old article called 'the Peculiar Road' - I saw that reprinted in a book entitled 'All Aboard for Yesteryear', a collection of various railroad related (Maine railroad related if I remember correctly) newspaper articles.
Made for some interesting reading - how things were done differently than other roads.
I will see if I can come up with a copy of that somewhere.
cya, Joey

by mwhite

The book of former articles is "All Aboard For Yesterday!: A Nostalgic History of Railroading in Maine" published by Down East Books, Rockport, Maine, 1979. The ISBN is 0-89272-053-0. It contains reprinted articles from DownEast Magazine. I refer to this book often as it covers Maine railroad topics not ordinarily written about anywhere else. This book is out of print.

Another great resource for the BAR is Jerry Angier and Herb Cleaves' book "Bangor & Aroostook; The Maine Railroad" published by Flying Yankee Enterprises, Littleton, MA 01460, c 1986. ISBN 0-9615574-2-7 (hardbound) and 0-9615574-3-5 (softbound). This book has been out of print for years, and unfortunately, the last time I spoke to Herb Cleaves about a possible reprint, noone was forthcoming with the upfront money to make this possible.

I would check Amazon, ebay, etc for these books. Also, Lippincott Books in Bangor has been able to find out of print books on Maine topics in the past with good success. Their phone number is (207) 942-4398.

by mb41

I know the store at www.trolleymuseum.org has a large collection of railroad books for sale :)