Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

Two F40s (one rebuilt, one Winnebago) that are assigned to BNSF have been spotted on RI: 184 and 201. 179 on BNSF might explain why 184 is on RI. Not sure why 201 is also on RI.
  by Gilbert B Norman

RTA liveried #100 is out here in "The Land of the Burlingtons" and is handling #1264 (27).

I'm aboard such; first leg of my "Poor man's way to O'Hare".
  by MetraBNSF

Saw 100 sitting outside of 14th Street this evening. Looks solid with the RTA livery.
  by F40CFan

There are a couple of blurbs about it in the November issue of Railfan and Railroad. It is also on the final photo page.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Forgot to report this earlier, but new livery 182 was assigned to 1249 (30 OCT).

And all for my $8.20, Senior, round trip "Poor man's way to O'Hare". Sure a contrast to my $190 round trip "White Glove" car service I've used for my overseas jaunts of late.
  by Gilbert B Norman

New liveried #181 is out here in "The Land of the Burlingtons" and was handling #1233 (15)
  by MetraBNSF

194, which had an alternator fire back in June 2015 is back.

From the Metra Facebook page:
DB7C3608-4689-4341-BCB9-0FF5033707D3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Might that newly liveried 194 "Winnie" be handling 1264 (17) tomorrow?

That's what I plan to ride tomorrow for a CSO matinee concert.
  by MetraBNSF

194 is double headed, was leading 195 on BNSF 1277 this evening. Don’t remember how the horn was like on that unit but the engineer blew its horn as it raced thru Downers Grove. Looks sharp and sounds nice.
  by lstone19

Saw 155 today on an MD-W train. The last list in this topic lists it as assigned to the UP lines.
  by Redhill

Hi

Can anyone advise whether the 3 F59PHs are seeing regular use now? On my last visit to Chicago they seemed to be confined to Western Avenue and I get the impression usage is pretty sporadic.

Thanks in advance

Rh
  by doepack

METX 425 gets a makeover into Rock colors, a parting gift to outgoing CEO Don Orseno. Lookin' sharp and spiffy indeed...
  by busfan2847

Redhill wrote:Hi

Can anyone advise whether the 3 F59PHs are seeing regular use now? On my last visit to Chicago they seemed to be confined to Western Avenue and I get the impression usage is pretty sporadic.

Thanks in advance

Rh
They are used on the the Heritage Corridor.
  by MetraBNSF

F40PHM-3 200 is at 14th St, possibly being fueled. We shall see if that newly rebuilt locomotive will run this afternoon.