• Maine Governor Announces Calais Branch Rail Removal

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Tom Testa

June 30, 2005

In an Op-ed piece published this day in the Bangor Daily News
Maine Governor John Baldacci announced his plans for removing the rail from Washington Junction to Ayers Junction on the Calais Branch to begin conversion to a trail. (see link below)

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=115824&z=35

To avoid confusion the Downeast Rail Heritage Preservation Trust would like to be sure that those interested know that we are still in discussions with MaineDOT to operate excursion service in the Brewer to Washington Junction segment of the corridor.

This represents Phase I of our plans and we continue to move forward with our work.

Tom Testa
President
Downeast Rail Heritage Preservation Trust

by mb41

what a shame. Once gone to trails you will never get it back for rails.

The minuteman trail through arlington/lexington/bedford is lost forever. It would have been better as the red line extension.

I hope Maine will protect other right of ways for future train use since autos is not the answer all the time :)

"I'm a frequent user of the Downeaster train" Volunteer Seashore Trolley Museum
  by trainsinmaine

It is indeed a shame. I've lived in Maine for 29 years and can remember following a fairly lengthy eastbound freight from the Route 1 crossing in Machias to the second crossing on the highway at East Machias. Ah, for those halcyon days. . . Also, this could be said to be an historic line, as it's the one FDR used to ride enroute to and from Campobello.

I hate to see the rails removed, because to me, even though they're sitting there rusting (for the time being) they are a symbol of Downeast Maine's long and proud history. And as you say, once they're gone, they're gone. I'd much prefer to see the recreational trail created alongside the track, as was done in Hallowell and vicinity on the Lower Road.

by Cowford

At least the property will be put to use for the first time in 20+ years.

by Richard Glueck

A small steam locomotive and two or three coaches, and you'd strain yourself carrying away the tourist dollars. A very short-sighted idea for an economically depressed region.

by NellsChoo

mb41 wrote:The minuteman trail through arlington/lexington/bedford is lost forever. It would have been better as the red line extension.
You said it. Look at all the traffic in that area!! It is NUTS!! They NEED some other alternative. I am so sick of more and more cars on the road, slowing commutes and making travel far less enjoyable than it could be. And this is from a car nut!!

by Cowford

A small steam locomotive and two or three coaches, and you'd strain yourself carrying away the tourist dollars
I think that may be a tad overly optimistic.

Sounds like even the State of Maine sees more economic benefit to a rail trail vs. a railroad. Given their fanatic support of rail project in the western part of the state, it must have been a decision based on indisputable facts.
  by Richard Glueck

I had the pleasure of talking to Maine Governor John Baldacci this morning, duringhte Fourth of July parade in Bangor. I told the Governor that the Calais Branch, slated now for demolition, would be a "gold mine" under the correct tourist management. This branch runs through Hancock and Washington counties, two of Maine's poorist. With a modest oerpational plan, a sensible restoration direction, and a realistic operations schedule, the little railroad might be a major shot in the arm for a depressed region. Governor Baldacci's reply was, "I want to hear what you think. Please write or email me with your thoughts, and write 'Attn: Rose' on the header."

For those of you familiar with the branch, it runs through the Maine woods, over marshes, along Route 1, and parallels the ocean for the last 20 miles. An experienced operator, or an experienced management group could turn two round trips between Ellsworth and Machias each day, into a profitable service. My suggestion would be to start with three open air coaches and a 70 ton Diesel, eventually running a small steam loco after several years of profits.

The branch needs many new ties, some fill, and ballast. It is the route upon which FDR began his ascent to the White House, and the steam loco used in the film "Sunrise at Campobello" is in the possession of the 470 Club, though not yet operational.

If you share my optimism, and care to express it to Governor John Baldacci, here is the contact information you will need.

[email protected]

Office of the Governor
1 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0001

Email Governor Baldacci

Phone: (207) 287-3531
(207) 287-6548 (TTY)

Perhaps the branch can be saved for useful economic return.

Richard

etc

by Noel Weaver

Seems to me I recall a prolonged discussion about this particular branch a
while ago.
I took the position then that the branch had no future as a railroad and
apparently today the powers to be in the State of Maine see thing just
about the same way.
I do not think it is fair to the state people to pressure them on this one,
seems to me the state has pretty much done it share so far as railroading
where there is a decent future for it.
Maine supports and pays for four round trip passenger trains out of
Portland and put up plenty to get it going. Ironically, the state of New
Hampshire also benefits from this and contributes virtually nothing.
Maine has also contributed to repairs on the Rockland Branch and in
addition there is a good possibility that the Downeast Service may be
extended to Brunswick or ? sometime in the future.
Lets not pressure the state on useless projects to a point where there
could be a revolt and everything gets scratched, even the legitimate stuff.
Noel Weaver

by TomNelligan

A small steam locomotive and two or three coaches, and you'd strain yourself carrying away the tourist dollars. A very short-sighted idea for an economically depressed region.
In terms of tourist train operation on the east end of the Calais branch, my impression is that it's pretty far from the part of the Maine coast that's most frequented by visitors (basically, the other side of Bar Harbor, with the tourist population increasing rapidly as you head west and south). Aside from hardcore railfans, how many people are going to drive a couple hours each way to ride a train? And it's those daisypickers that you'd need, by the thousands. The Maine Eastern situation out of Rockland is completely different in terms of the population density of potential riders, which is why that's working so well.

The only thing that would save the Calais branch is significant on-line freight business, and that hardly seems likely at this point. And as one who chased Maine Central RS3s there in the 1970s, I'm sad to see it go.

by Richard Glueck

My reflection was based on twice daily operations between Ellsworth and Machias, the heart of the tourist region. In terms of picking up tourist riders, Ellsworth is the place to go. In terms of expanding independant business, luncheons, shops, etc., Machias could sure use the help. This would all require a development plan, and I am not asking the people of our state to underwrite anything, other than to possibly waive taxes for a few years or provide some road service at grade crossings. Once the rails are up, you will never see them them again. It's really a development plan for the region rather than to build a viable commuter service.