• Major Derailment in Hyndman PA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by litz

mmi16 wrote:
litz wrote:Attempting to pull that train with multiples of applied hand brakes certainly didn't help anything, either.

That's basically just asking for a clothesline result on a tight curve.
Releasing all the hand brake is asking for a runaway. Train achieved 30 MPH WITH the 33 hand brakes applied and required the use of dynamic brakes 3 times. As I read the report it wasn't a 'string line' derailment but a buff force derailment as the tonnage behind the first car to derail force at least 1 wheel set to climb the rail and derail. Trailing tonnage pushing the car off the track.
DIdn't I read something here recently where helpers were no longer being used?

Those can act as braking/retarding force too ...

Also makes me wonder if some of the fancier "electronic brake" technologies would have assisted here.
  by BR&P

litz wrote:Also makes me wonder if some of the fancier "electronic brake" technologies would have assisted here.
ECP braking requires all the cars to be so equipped. Until there is a major project to convert large portions of the nation's fleet, its use will be limited to selected trains where the equipment is available.
  by Backshophoss

ECP("P-wire")for now is installed on some unit train type consists,in some cases is still in development type testing.