• Quick Question About Amtrak Post-Interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Acela150

Hi All,

I had an interview for Block Operator in Philly on August 3rd. When they concluded they told me that it would be a week before any decisions were made, which is understandable. I called the following Friday the 11th and was told that the decision would be made Mid-Week the following week. Friday the 18th I called again and was told late in the day or Monday. Today I called with no answer, twice. During the introductions and what not they stated that the class begins on Sept 4th. My Amtrak online profile still shows an active application for the job.

I'm not surprised that they keep changing their answer on when I can expect to hear a yes or no. But how long does this go on before either I get a Yes or No OR get a Yes or No and they push the class back? I'm a very patient person. But considering that it's less then 2 weeks before the class and they need to do physicals and background checks and I would like to give my current employer two weeks notice it's the "What in the world is going on" mentality.

Does anyone have thoughts on when I might hear anything out of HR in Philly?

Thx.
  by Gadfly

Acela150 wrote:Hi All,

I had an interview for Block Operator in Philly on August 3rd. When they concluded they told me that it would be a week before any decisions were made, which is understandable. I called the following Friday the 11th and was told that the decision would be made Mid-Week the following week. Friday the 18th I called again and was told late in the day or Monday. Today I called with no answer, twice. During the introductions and what not they stated that the class begins on Sept 4th. My Amtrak online profile still shows an active application for the job.

I'm not surprised that they keep changing their answer on when I can expect to hear a yes or no. But how long does this go on before either I get a Yes or No OR get a Yes or No and they push the class back? I'm a very patient person. But considering that it's less then 2 weeks before the class and they need to do physicals and background checks and I would like to give my current employer two weeks notice it's the "What in the world is going on" mentality.

Does anyone have thoughts on when I might hear anything out of HR in Philly?

Thx.
Its not unusual that they don't give people "convenient" notice. They really don't CARE! Reason? They have so many applicants for these jobs, once the selections are made, they may, or may NOT, notify you. At this juncture, I would assume (?) you weren't chosen. IOW, you'll know when they contact you.
Or don't.

What do I base this on? 30 years ago when I WAS selected, at the final interview, I was told to report the following Monday. If I didn't, they'd find someone else. I reported on Monday! :-)
  by Acela150

Thanks, I called HR in DC today to get an answer that HR recruiter kept pushing off. They didn't hire me.