• inflatable subway portal plug

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Charliemta

Interesting article on new inflatable plug developed to protect subway portals during floods:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 170156.htm
  by BandA

I can see it now: "subway shut down due to accidental deployment of portal plug by teenagers"
  by RenegadeMonster

BandA wrote:I can see it now: "subway shut down due to accidental deployment of portal plug by teenagers"

Yeah, good thing they are portable. That means that hopefully they aren't stored in the tunnels and deployed by crews only when needed.
  by BandA

The MBTA is all about customization, but not innovation. Except for those snow plow bobcat hirails, but that was one man's innovation.
  by RenegadeMonster

BandA wrote:The MBTA is all about customization, but not innovation. Except for those snow plow bobcat hirails, but that was one man's innovation.

So no doodlebugs on the horizon?
  by Backshophoss

Amtrak and NYCTA could have used those plugs around the time Sandy made it's way up the east coast.
There would not been the problems that surfaced after Sandy damaged the tunnels.
  by Aerie

If I remember correctly from a tour I took, during WW2 the London Underground installed flood gates on all the tunnels under the Thames, which were closed during air raids.
  by BandA

RenegadeMonster wrote:
BandA wrote:The MBTA is all about customization, but not innovation. Except for those snow plow bobcat hirails, but that was one man's innovation.

So no doodlebugs on the horizon?
Nor hi-rail diesel/electric buses, sadly. As much as we make fun of it, this inflatable plug is a good idea! Or a giant rubber stopper.
  by jbvb

After Hurricane Sandy, I recall reading about a big water-balloon plug they had for one of the NYC tunnels - didn't stand up to the pressure differential as the water outside rose.