Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Gilbert B Norman

Have to wonder what constructive ideas will come from this challenge?

http://nytimes.com/2017/06/30/nyregion/ ... ubway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
..Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has declared a state of emergency on the subway system to speed up purchases of equipment for much-needed repairs.

He has also pledged $1 billion in additional funding.

This comes a month after Mr. Cuomo announced the M.T.A. Genius Transit Challenge, a competition looking for innovative solutions to problems in three areas — modernizing subway cars, increasing communications infrastructure, and improving the signal system.

In other words, the city and state want your ideas — big or small, realistic or a bit out there..
  by rr503

Me too -- I'm buying popcorn wholesale. I've already heard of cars whose sides change color, articulation and discussion of reincorporating the beloved RFW.
  by hazmatmess

Tear out the seats and shove in 25 more passengers per car and paint them a different color so passengers know what they're getting into. That's what's being reported today in the NY Post. I like the idea of turning subway cars into cattle cars. This pilot program is supposedly going to happen on the L train and the shuttle between Grand Centeral and Times Square. Fun times ahead.
  by Triaxle

rr503 wrote:Me too -- I'm buying popcorn wholesale. I've already heard of cars whose sides change color, articulation and discussion of reincorporating the beloved RFW.
In this spirit I propose garage door car sides. At busy stops, the car side rolls up into the roof, and passengers can get on/off with great speed and shoulder-checking collisions. The slight structural problems involved with having a box with no sides will be ignored until after the cars are so modified, and then blamed on Anyone But Andrew.
  by eastwind

rr503 wrote:discussion of reincorporating the beloved RFW.
+1
  by trainbrain

hazmatmess wrote:Tear out the seats and shove in 25 more passengers per car and paint them a different color so passengers know what they're getting into. That's what's being reported today in the NY Post. I like the idea of turning subway cars into cattle cars. This pilot program is supposedly going to happen on the L train and the shuttle between Grand Centeral and Times Square. Fun times ahead.
Didn't they already try this on the E and it didn't work out?

They're going to have to leave some cars with seats so that the elderly/disabled can sit as well as people going to the far out stations, and if they don't take the seats out of every single car, the capacity increase will be negligible. No way this makes it past the pilot program.