• Blue/Green/Red connector from 1926

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Charliemta

Different route(s) for the Red/Blue Connector from 1926. These are cool. I like Route B the best.

http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=18897

I think the concept here was to tie Blue into Green at Park, and convert at least one branch of the Green Line west of Park Street into the Blue Line.

Ward Maps at http://www.wardmaps.com/browse.php?page ... ty=1&s=&o= also has some other very interesting transit expansion plans from that time.
  by leviramsey

Charliemta wrote: I think the concept here was to tie Blue into Green at Park, and convert at least one branch of the Green Line west of Park Street into the Blue Line.
If I'm not mistaken, the plan at the time the current Kenmore station was being designed and built was that the B branch would be converted to heavy rail (and thus the provision for turning C branch (and later D branch) trains at Kenmore). Indeed, the conversion of Blue to heavy rail may have partially been done as an experiment in the viability of converting a light rail subway into heavy rail.

Combining with this, it looks like the plan was only to convert Park to BC to heavy rail, so what the plan was for north/east of Park is interesting...
  by BowdoinStation

Here is my million dollar hypothetical question, since I am not into government waste, I won't say 'billion dollar question'..

What would be the feasibility of a walkway connector between State Street Station to the Downtown Crossing station to provide better access from the Blue Line to the Red Line. The southbound Orange Line platform at State to the northbound Orange Line platform at Downtown Crossing are in very close proximity to each other. While not a perfect solution, It would solve many problems, with some descent exercise walking from the inbound Blue Line platform to the southbound Orange Line platform. Going the other way, would be much easier stroll, let alone waiting for an Orange Line train to take you one short stop away.
(Northbound Orange Line at DT Crossing to the State Southbound Platform to the Blue Line outbound platform)
  by Disney Guy

There is not enough space for a walkway between (northbound platform) Downtown Crossing and (southbound platform) State St.

Going north from DTX the available space between the trackway and neighboring buildings to the right gets narrower and narrower. Going south from State St. (Milk St) the available space between the northbound trackway directly below and the street above gets less tall and less tall.

If sewer lines are located in that space and must be relocated lower or higher then pumping stations, that add complexity and require uninterruptible electric power, would need to be installed.

Converting the Boylston St. subway to heavy rapid transit would have gone well with a (proposed) eastbound continuation of said subway at Boylston St. over to Essex St. and Post Office Square. This would have made a self contained route out to an extended subway under Commonwealth Ave.