• LIRR Penn Station Emergency Repair Work Mitigation Plan

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RailTrek

I have a question. When was the last time that the LIRR specifically offered LIRR-Branded (sort to speak) ferry service from Long Island City to Manhattan? This has to be a very, very, rare occurrence. I also think that it's funny that after 183 years, the LIRR's only realistic option is to go back to the way it used to be before Penn.
  by KT3

The no fare reduction is something that I would imagine will come back to bite the LIRR very hard in the coming months and years. Left unsaid in the LIRR's communications yesterday about the crisis plan was how exactly the LIRR will pay for the ferries and buses it has added to the service. While the LIRR noted these services will be free to monthly and weekly ticket holders, as we all know, nothing is free in life and it seems like the LIRR will try to pay for these un-budgeted services via future fare increases for riders, likely at a higher percent increase than in past years. So the economic pain of this crisis, which will be felt quite acutely this summer with decreased worker productivity due to arriving late/leaving early from work, missed meetings, etc. will likely continue to be felt for many more months and years as the costs of these additional services (which I don't think many LIRR riders even wanted in the first place) will presumably be foisted onto LIRR riders at some point.

So enjoy it now for free while it lasts. Because we will all likely be paying for this mess for many years to come.
  by nyandw

RailTrek wrote:I have a question. When was the last time that the LIRR specifically offered LIRR-Branded (sort to speak) ferry service from Long Island City to Manhattan? This has to be a very, very, rare occurrence. I also think that it's funny that after 183 years, the LIRR's only realistic option is to go back to the way it used to be before Penn.
Here's what I have: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrhi ... gy1925.htm
"Mar. 3, 1925 Last run of LIRR ferry, 34th Street-Long Island City; LIRR then dismantles Long Island City ferry house and sells ferries Manhattan Beach, Southampton and Pennsylvania. (AR)"

Ferry pass examples http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/images/lirrpasses.htm
Long Island Railroad Company's Ferries - Vehicle ticket over James Slip Ferry, also good for 34th St. Ferry NYSR Co. 1899
  by LIRRMEDFORD

They is some schedule changes they made that is not usual of the LIRR. Most notably to me is a Port Washington to Penn, speed run in the morning at 5:22a. This looks like an equipment run turned revenue which I thought doesn't happen at all.
  by SPEONKNY

nyandw wrote:Here's what I have: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrhi ... gy1925.htm
"Mar. 3, 1925 Last run of LIRR ferry, 34th Street-Long Island City; LIRR then dismantles Long Island City ferry house and sells ferries Manhattan Beach, Southampton and Pennsylvania. (AR)"

Ferry pass examples http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/images/lirrpasses.htm
Long Island Railroad Company's Ferries - Vehicle ticket over James Slip Ferry, also good for 34th St. Ferry NYSR Co. 1899
Do you know exactly where the LIRR ferry house was located in 1925 LIC? Was it at the freight gantries, or at the end of one of the other avenues in Hunters Point near where the East River ferry docks today? Was the ferry carrying vehicles as well as passengers arriving via LIRR?
  by nyandw

SPEONKNY wrote:
nyandw wrote:Here's what I have: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrhi ... gy1925.htm
Do you know exactly where the LIRR ferry house was located in 1925 LIC? Was it at the freight gantries, or at the end of one of the other avenues in Hunters Point near where the East River ferry docks today? Was the ferry carrying vehicles as well as passengers arriving via LIRR?
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/licity ... -page2.htm
LI City Station view W c.1905 photo colorized postcard. Before 1910, there were no East River tunnels to Manhattan. LIRR commuters had to take a train to Long Island City and board a ferry for a half hour ride to 34th St. or James St.
I cannot speak to later use of vehicle access...

The LIRR Ferry Terminal at Long Island City. Photo by Hal Fullerton. Courtesy of the of the Queens Borough Public Library, Long Island Division, Hal B. Fullerton Collection.
  by MNCRR9000

Some of the articles I have read mentioned that they would add additional cars to rush hour trains to help ease overcrowding. Aren't most of the trains already at the maximum of 12 cars since most of the platforms cant handle more than that?
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Caught a CBS2 news report mentioning that there will be a 25% reduction in fare beginning on
July 10 to and from Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn along with free connecting NYCT Subway from
there into Manhattan.

More then likely this will be the equivalent of off-peak fares to AT along with cross honoring LIRR
tickets for subway service at all times to or from Brooklyn...This is at least some sort of savings
as compared to NJT's fare plan for commuters during the summer NYP track work...

MACTRAXX
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

New LIRR Branch Timetables for the Amtrak Construction/Summer 2017 service changes are now
available in the main timetable rack across from the Jamaica Ticket Office as of 6/24. These new
timetables will be effective from July 10-23 and have a cover notice "These schedules have been
modified since Amtrak, which owns and operates Penn Station, has reduced LIRR's capacity there
in order to make crucial repairs." All 11 regular Branch Timetable forms are available.

"Because Amtrak has reduced LIRR's capacity at Penn Station, some trains will be cancelled or
diverted to alternative locations and have revised stops."

The Construction Timetables supersede the May 22 timetables currently in effect which will likely
be back in use on July 24th. They have color covers with "Amtrak Construction / LIRR Summer
2017 Schedule" highlighted in red below the branch line name.

MACTRAXX
  by Amtrak7

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone:

New LIRR Branch Timetables for the Amtrak Construction/Summer 2017 service changes are now
available in the main timetable rack across from the Jamaica Ticket Office as of 6/24. These new
timetables will be effective from July 10-23 and have a cover notice "These schedules have been
modified since Amtrak, which owns and operates Penn Station, has reduced LIRR's capacity there
in order to make crucial repairs." All 11 regular Branch Timetable forms are available.

"Because Amtrak has reduced LIRR's capacity at Penn Station, some trains will be cancelled or
diverted to alternative locations and have revised stops."

The Construction Timetables supersede the May 22 timetables currently in effect which will likely
be back in use on July 24th. They have color covers with "Amtrak Construction / LIRR Summer
2017 Schedule" highlighted in red below the branch line name.

MACTRAXX
There will be revised midday schedules on the Babylon and Montauk branches starting 7/24 until late August for trackwork.

Do the versions you picked up include the two extra trains they added at the last minute? A 7:18p from NYP to Hempstead and an 8:25p from NYP to Far Rockaway.
  by MACTRAXX

A7: Answering your question in a word: YES.

Train 790 leaves Penn Station at 7:18PM and stops at Jamaica then all stops to Hempstead
arriving at 8:14PM.

Train 2890 leaves Penn Station at 8:25PM and stops at Jamaica and Valley Stream then all
stops to Far Rockaway arriving at 9:19PM.

More information about the LIRR service changes effective July 10, 2017 can be found at:
http://nymta.civicconnect.com/LIRR-PennStation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
  by Amtrak7

MACTRAXX wrote:A7: Answering your question in a word: YES.

Train 790 leaves Penn Station at 7:18PM and stops at Jamaica then all stops to Hempstead
arriving at 8:14PM.

Train 2890 leaves Penn Station at 8:25PM and stops at Jamaica and Valley Stream then all
stops to Far Rockaway arriving at 9:19PM.

More information about the LIRR service changes effective July 10, 2017 can be found at:
http://nymta.civicconnect.com/LIRR-PennStation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
I stopped by Jamaica yesterday evening and was able to pick them up...there were no Port Jeff ones left in the rack.