Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by eastwind

In a YouTube video I'm watching ("NYC Subway HD: Budd R32 A Train Railfan Window RFW Ride (Dyckman St - Lefferts BLVD) 6/24/15" posted by FanRailer on Jun 26, 2015), at time mark 57:15 I notice an unusual sign.
An eastbound A express has stopped at Nostrand Avenue on the Fulton Street line. On the east wall of the station in plain view of the train operator is this sign:
"ATTENTION T/O'S / THE NEXT STATION / UTICA AVE / IS A FAST STATION / START BRAKING EARLY / BEFORE ENTERING"

I had never noticed this sign before. Is it new?
What precisely does it mean? That is, what is a "fast station"?
I have never heard this term before. Is it applied to any other station?
Also, what is the need for the sign, when presumably a series of timed S signals would accomplish the same thing?
  by trainbrain

Is there possibly a down grade leading into the station? That might cause trains to enter faster than normal.
  by rr503

That's correct -- there's a good downhill coming into the station. It's famous for being an overrun hotspot. The sign's been there for a while, idk when it was installed though. I'm also pretty sure they've put timers in on the grade which obviates the need for it.
  by eastwind

Thanks for the explanation, rr503.

Are there any other "fast" stations?