Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jersey_Mike

I knew about the test signal at HALL, but I didn't think it was very popular and since its instllation the LIAR had gone back to PL's with the exception of the new system past PD.

I don't see why the LIAR should get away with wasting good money to replace the home signal at PD with a traffic light 3 feet behind it.
  by N340SG

...colored light system, in fact there is already one in service in hall interlocking, the second signal you encounter coming out of the pocket track going west into the station...
I saw that signal, and was wondering what that was all about. Thanks for that tidbit.

Tom
  by bluebelly

LirrConductor wrote:Yes there will be a new signal system put in place starting at PD tower, and ending in Speonk. It will be a colored light system, with speed control, and rule 261 in effect. word has it that eventually the entire railroad will be a colored light system, in fact there is already one in service in hall interlocking, the second signal you encounter coming out of the pocket track going west into the station. As with all things LIRR, the new signal system is already late being put into service.
I thought is was going to be 261 manual block, no speed control .
I also hear the "word' that the entire RR will eventually be converted to color light signals. If that is the case then why are the new signals that were installed in Port 2 years ago , Queens last year and not to mention West Hempstead, Position Light signals. It seems to me that if color lights are going to be installed why go through the trouble of installing new Position Lights , just put in color lights.
N340SG wrote: I saw that signal, and was wondering what that was all about. Thanks for that tidbit.
Tom
The low home that signal replaced was difficult to see and was one of the most frequently run through signals on the property. The color light stands out like a sore thumb ,and since it is the only one in the interlocking everyone knows it's there.

by Bruiser23

bluebelly wrote:If that is the case then why are the new signals that were installed in Port 2 years ago , Queens last year and not to mention West Hempstead, Position Light signals. It seems to me that if color lights are going to be installed why go through the trouble of installing new Position Lights , just put in color lights.
Those "new position lights" are probably already bought & paid for. If a business case was made to install new lights, this decision was already made months in advance with money from last year's budget. It also keeps the signal installers happy becuase they have work. It happens in other industries all the time.

by Jersey_Mike

Those "new position lights" are probably already bought & paid for. If a business case was made to install new lights, this decision was already made months in advance with money from last year's budget. It also keeps the signal installers happy becuase they have work. It happens in other industries all the time.
There could actually be something there with someone feeling PL's are geniunely better and getting them into those specific capital projects. I know of at least three cases where Norfolk Southern has installed new position lights since 2000. (CP-ROCKVILLE on the bridge, CP-McVEY, eastbound #1 home mast and a new caltilever instllation in Downtown Ronoake on the former N&W). NS has also put up a new cantilever with GRS SA searchlights as well.