• Amtrak operation at Niagara Falls station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railroaded

How do they do what they do with the passenger trains in the Falls? Is that a back up move to & from the old & new stations for the Empire Service trains? Does the Maple Leaf pull in & out? I'm not familiar with the track layout there.
  by RailKevin

The current station on Hyde Park Blvd (they are supposed to move soon--don't know when) is a dead end track on the north side of the yard, adjacent to the main track. Trains going into Canada have a short backup move to the east to get out of the station. Trains coming from Canada will back into the station track.
  by SST

I thought Amtrak already moved to the new location. I was just up there a few weeks ago and an agent was sitting outside. Either way, the new station has only one track. The same track that goes over the bridge into Canada. There is no back-up maneuver for the new station.
  by TrainDetainer

Unless something's changed in the last few years, 63/64 never made any back-up moves at NIAF. The trains simply stopped on the CS across from the station and passengers walked to/from. The empire service trains are the only ones that use the depot stub. The inbounds turn at the Tuscarora wye and back from there into the stub at NIAF, park over night and depart straight out in the morning. There's no reason for any kind of 63/64 back-up move there or at the new depot unless there's some other problem.
  by Otto Vondrak

SST wrote:I thought Amtrak already moved to the new location.
The new station opened to passengers in December 2016.

-otto-
  by pumpers

That's a 6 mile back-up from the wye to the new station - over a mile more than the old one.
What is the back-up allowed speed? Conductor on the (leading) rear end with a radio to the engineer on the trailing end?
JS
Related to new stations in the area, I saw on the Amtrak forum that it was officially decided that the new station in Buffalo will be downtown and NOT at Buffalo Central Terminal.
See the APril 21 post by Jeff Smith (and the Buffalo News link) at viewtopic.php?f=46&t=158020&start=285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . TO me it is unclear if the Lake Shore Limited would use a new downtown station or skip it like the Exchange St station - a backup move of a mile is required.
  by SST

Its obvious that I don't pay a lot of attention too Amtrak moves especially Niagara Falls. Oops. I completely forgot about the turn around maneuver. I assumed incorrectly that with placing the new station on the main track it would eliminate that problem.