• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

I have such a huge box of photo's that it's taken me a long time to come across them. But finally, here are a 3 pics. All three are nearly 15 years old.

Edit addition: The canal pics were taken on 9-15-2003 and the locomotive picture was taken 7-24-2003.

The first two pictures are bridge crossings taken from the Seneca-Cayuga Canal. I don't remember which crossing is which. It was a long day crossing the canal. We eventually entered Cayuga Lake and headed to Ithaca where we overnighted at The Station.

The last picture was taken on a miserable day [see the puss on my face?]. Cloudy, raining and cold. Some sort of train excursion on the railroad. No heat on the train either. I can usually handle any kind of weather but by the time we arrived back, I was getting sick. The hot chicken dinner rescued me and warmed me back up.

by BR&P

I have often thought some great and unusual train pics could be had by doing some boating - both on the river as you did, and out in the lake with a train going across the causeway.
  by Matt Langworthy

NS local H06 will have a pair of GP38-2s tonight, which are new power for FGLK.

The Geeps will probably be dead in tow for this move. NS 310 dropped them off at Gang Mills a couple days ago.
  by lvrr325

I presume we still have no idea what these two started out as?
  by nessman

What's the latest on the line between Lyons and Geneva?
  by lvrr325

Still out of service above the yard limits, not sure exactly how far but somewhere near Cross Road or Tin Can Alley.

I'm also curious of the status of the wye they were building in Geneva. A fall Street View shot shows a couple banded bundles of ties on the ROW of the original NYC wye leg connecting the Auburn Road going east to the Corning going north, but I don't pass that way to see anything else. (north of Border City Road). I had expected it would connect from the new Lehigh lead on the south side as this leg's been gone a long time.
  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:I presume we still have no idea what these two started out as?
Not yet, no one has any data yet on any of the forums..(we also still dont have history for two of the three SD38's!) but I hope to get it worked out for the roster page.

Scot
  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:I'm also curious of the status of the wye they were building in Geneva. A fall Street View shot shows a couple banded bundles of ties on the ROW of the original NYC wye leg connecting the Auburn Road going east to the Corning going north, but I don't pass that way to see anything else.
Those bundles of ties have been there for at least 6 years. It may happen today, it may never happen, but don't count on it until it's done and in service.
  by Matt Langworthy

I did catch a glimpse of the new FGLK GP38-2s last weekend:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab13 ... CN1569.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This photo was taken by me Saturday 4/29/2017 in Border City, NY.
  by Matt Langworthy

NS 310 dropped off a 3rd GP38-2 for FGLK at Gang Mills yesterday. NS H06 should take take #2003 up to Geneva tonight.
  by nessman

NS doesn't even show Lyons to Geneva on their route maps anymore. Did the FGLK purchase it?
  by lvrr325

Best of my knowledge NS has railbanked it but won't sell for some reason.

It's very much out of service.
  by scottychaos

the "some reason" they wont sell it is likely because if they did sell it to FGLK, it would provide a better and more efficient FGLK/CSX relationship.
yes, FGLK and CSX do already interchange in Solvay/Syracuse, but if FGLK owned Geneva to Lyons, it would provide a more efficient (and cheaper for shippers) route for traffic from Buffalo and the Western US for CSX to FGLK, which could possibly swing some traffic away from NS/FGLK and toward CSX/FGLK. So it's to NS's advantage to keep that connection out of service.

that's a long-standing bit of speculation, not confirmed, but it makes sense..

Scot
  by ALCO Flower

Has anyone heard about the Y in Geneva yard? Here is a shot of the FGLK GC-2 on the 18th, they dropped off two tank cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU0nFnrShvM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.