• 6:06PM Special Train on April 5th

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Commuter X

I was lucky enough to get free tickets to last nights Met's game

When I get to Penn Station, I see there is a special train leaving at 6:006 PM making stops at Woodside and Mets - Willets Pt

So I was lucky enough to have my own private train car, while everyone else was packed like sardines

Given the current situation at Penn, what is management thinking to run a empty train 2 stops while track space is scarce?
  by vince

Given the current situation at Penn, what is management thinking to run a empty train 2 stops while track space is scarce?
Hi X,
Possibly because there are folks arriving at Woodside from the east to go to the game? Without the two stopper this could lead to crowded (and thus dangerous) platforms.
This sounds like a good idea to me. Mind The Gap.

(ex LIRR commuter)
http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php?albumid=248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drive it! >>>===> https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthrea ... ta-release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vince
  by Commuter X

Very few people got on at Woodside

A mid-week night game at Citi Field will never sell out this early in the season

It would make sense to run this train during the US Open, but not now
  by KT3

I saw that train too last night when I arrived at Penn for my 6:13 train to Long Beach. Was curious about this special train considering there were several other Port Washington Branch trains immediately after it that were all making stops at Mets Willets-Point. Seems like it was an idea from someone in the marketing/partnerships department several months back, but that was before this week's "minor" derailment in Penn Station and the LIRR's capitulation to Amtrak and NJ Transit of most of its tracks. Clearly, a special train for two stops in light of this week's situation wasn't a great idea and someone should have had sense enough to cancel this train.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

This special train is not listed in the current LIRR Mets-Willets Point schedule.
Trains such as this one making just Penn Station and Woodside have been listed in the past.

As for April Mets weeknight games selling out it depends primarily on who the opponent will be...
NL Eastern Division teams - PHL, WAS, ATL, MIA play 9 games - or three series at Citi Field.

Opponents from the other two NL divisions and some teams of the designated AL division -
in 2017 the AL West - play at Citi Field just for one series during the course of the season.

Examples: The SF Giants and LA Angels visit Citi Field in May. The Yankees games - which is
a 4 game home and home series is in August this year. The LA Dodgers visit in August at CF.
The entire 2017 Mets home schedule is listed in the current LIRR Mets-Willets Point TT.

Long time Met fans remember a time when night games in April were rare and regular night
games would not begin until May. With TV revenue controlling scheduling those days are in
the distant past demanding night baseball being played as early as it now is.

Depending on the US Open and Mets scheduling - and opponents especially if the Mets are in
contention in late August/early September - determine how busy PW trains become over the
period both events are occurring together. It is a very busy time for the LIRR and PW Branch.

MACTRAXX
  by Commuter X

I am not complaining about the extra service -- I had my own private car in middle of the PM rush hour

With a shortage of available tracks on Wednesday and Thursday, LIRR management chose to send out a empty train for 2 stops

This slot could have been used for one of the cancelled trains

Now that the schedule is back to normal, it looks like the 6:06 will not be running today