• NJ TRANSIT Train Struck When Amtrak Train Derails At Penn St

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Commuter X

Preparing for a fun commute home this Friday evening .....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/24/ ... n-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Due to the Amtrak derailment in Penn Station, LIRR anticipates cancellations and delays for this evening's rush hour. To avoid delays, customers are advised to leave NYC before 4PM or delay departure from the city until after 8PM. Customers may also wish to consider departing from Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.
  by DutchRailnut

all service at NYP has been restored.
  by Commuter X

Service may be "restored", but the cancellations for this evenings commute have been posted to the MTA website
  by KT3

On that point regarding service being restored, it appears the LIRR is trying to get ahead of this situation with a rare display of proactive communications to commuters: advisories have gone out across the board (including on Twitter and via the LIRR app) for commuters to completely avoid Penn Station between 4-8pm and to either leave the city before 4pm or depart from the city after 8pm. Of course, this doesn't exactly help those people whose jobs require them to remain at work and, therefore, they can't leave the city early, but at least the LIRR is proactively communicating that this evening's commute is likely to be a disaster, rather than waiting as it usually does for commuters to all make their way to Penn Station only to be locked outside by the police after yet another major delay, mass cancellations or tunnel closure.

RT @LIRR: LIRR anticipates cancellations & delays for PM rush. To avoid delays, customers advised to leave NYC before 4PM or after 8PM.
  by DutchRailnut

the derailment happened on track 6/ladder u, it should not affect LIRR in any way.
NJT Yes, Empire service yes both Acela and regional are running.
  by SwingMan

DutchRailnut wrote:the derailment happened on track 6/ladder u, it should not affect LIRR in any way.

Dutch, the effect on the LIRR is reduced track capacity with all Amtrak/NJ Transit service being shifted north.
  by Commuter X

I guess this explains it. Four tracks are out of service this evening.

Because of an Amtrak derailment at Penn Station this morning, the Long Island Rail Road plans to cancel 29 PM rush hour trains out of the 87 that normally depart from Penn Station during this time. The cancelations are necessary to allow NJTransit and Amtrak the exclusive use of Tracks 13-16, which are normally shared with LIRR; the move means four of the nine Penn Station tracks used by the LIRR for the evening rush hour are not available for use as a result of the derailment.

The remaining LIRR trains from Penn Station could experience delays and crowding.
  by twropr

Did the derailment affect the ability of LIRR to move stored equipment from ?Hudson (the yard west of Penn Station) into the station?
Andy
  by Crabman1130

DutchRailnut wrote:the derailment happened on track 6/ladder u, it should not affect LIRR in any way.
I dropped of my brother in KO at 4:30 pm to catch a train to Penn. The train terminated in Jamaica. So service was still being affected.
  by AlKaLI

Late to the game but want to add my personal experience from Friday evening.

I commute in M-F and leave NY-Penn on train #152: the 5:13 PM to Babylon. This train is rarely cancelled - even on days like last Friday.
As I made my way to Penn Station already knowing the situation, I wondered if I should have left from Atlantic Terminal. At 5:00 PM, NY-Penn was crowded as usual.
As stated, the LIRR was only departing from tracks 17-21. The PA system was busy with announcements of cancelled trains, track assignments and safety warnings (stand behind yellow safety line for incoming trains).

At the platform level, as soon as a track assignment was made, crowds flooded the platform for the incoming train. At 5:00 PM, it seemed all trains were coming from the west.
As soon as each train received its passengers and received the signal, it left; to be followed by another train right behind. Trains were leaving about 5-10 minutes late. I think the 5:09 to Speonk was pretty much on time.

As for me, my 5:13 came in and I was lucky enough to find a seat. We left at 5:17 and made two extra stops (at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens). At Jamaica, we arrived too late for the normal Hempstead connection but there was another train scheduled in about 20 minutes for those customers. My train continued east and I was home only 10-15 minutes late.

My limited snapshot - given the circumstances, I thought the LIRR performed really well.
  by cam36

Like the poster above me, I was sincerely impressed with the LIRR's service on Friday afternoon/evening. I'm normally on the 5:59 or 6:33 from Penn to Babylon, but left work early in hopes to avoid the delays. Winded up on the 4:52pm to Babylon and it remained an express and I don't think it was more than 2 minutes late. Was a refreshing commuting experience, especially considering I was expecting delays.
  by Commuter X

The NJT train must have caused a heck of a lot of damage

Day #2 of delays

While Amtrak personnel continue to work around-the-clock to repair tracks damaged in Monday morning's derailment of a NJ Transit train at Penn Station, the Long Island Rail Road needs to cancel 18 trains from Penn Station between 4PM and 8PM, and have 8 others originate at Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn, or Jamaica, Queens. Normally 87 LIRR trains depart from Penn Station during this time. The cancellations are necessary to allow NJ Transit and Amtrak, which runs Penn Station, the use of Tracks 13-16, which are normally shared with LIRR; the move means four of the nine Penn Station tracks used by the LIRR for the evening rush hour are not available for use as a result of the derailment. The remaining LIRR trains from Penn Station could experience delays and crowding.
  by KT3

Is there any situation in which the MTA/LIRR would have to refund customers for canceled trains? Granted, these cancellations aren't the fault of the LIRR but it still has a responsibility to its customers to provide a credible level of service, especially during rush hour, which I think most would agree the LIRR isn't able to do these last two days due to the NJTransit derailment.

(Note: I'm not arguing that the LIRR should refund customers but just asking whether there is any situation in which refunds may be required, similar to airline refunds.)
  by Commuter X

The LIRR Guarantee -- "The Long Island Rail Road cannot assume responsibility for inconvenience, expense or damage resulting from errors in timetables, delayed trains, failure to make connections or for changes in or shortage of equipment"

So as long as the trains are running, even with delays, this would not result in any refunds.