• Light Rail to Arborway Officially Dead

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BostonUrbEx

Disney Guy wrote:1. The Casey Overpass would have been rebuilt to the delight of many Jamaica Plain residents and preserving the loop.
This would have been the most likely option, I think. I disagree that it would have been to the delight of JP residents, though. The pro-overpass people were the folks traveling through the area, not living in the area. Although, maintaining good service may have lead to JP residents begrudgingly supporting a new overpass.
  by Arborwayfan

I know at least a couple JP residents who wanted a new overpass because they realized that putting all that traffic on the ground would make their pedestrian and bike connections harder.
  by highgreen215

I agree the first option would probably be selected, but it's a moot point because with the traffic conditions on JP streets today, I reluctantly believe that streetcars running beyond the Hyde Square proposal no longer makes sense.

I strongly disagree with the second statement. I live within one mile of this traffic morass and the only positive thing to come out of it is a new OL/CR head house that is to be built on the JP side of Casey Way so pedestrians won't be a injured or killed crossing it. It's not really a topic for this forum, but 26,000 cars a day can more easily traverse these two intersections by passing overhead than getting tangled up in surface traffic. And I suspect it would have actually been cheaper to build an attractive landscaped new overpass, although the public was not presented figures that support this option.