• Last conventional sash window passenger equipment

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by R36 Combine Coach

Wondering what is the very last North American rail equipment (passenger, excluding cabooses) to be delivered new with conventional sliding sash windows? I'm quite convinced the NYCT IRT Main Line R36s (1965 model IRT from late '64/early 65) are it, though probably assembled and delivered from leftover R33 car shells.

Obviously I excluded new build historic replica equipment (trolleys. streetcars). But by the 1950s AC was standard across the board and basically all new passenger equipment had fixed pane window or even large picture windows. This is apparent with the postwar Budd Heritage cars still found today and 1950s ACF, Pullman and St. Louis passenger cars. It seems even the death of drop sashes might have started with the 1930s streamliners. Today the only vehicles built new with drop sashes are school buses.

(*Disclaimer/note: That is a Main Line R36 as my avatar (original 1965 livery), as a passenger/freight combine unit)
  by Alcochaser

I tend to remember the NY&SW had some BUDD stainless coaches built in 1951 with no AC and small drop opening windows and 133 seats.

They didn't stay in America long.
  by jhdeasy

You may be correct.

I think the LIRR P72 series of lightweight coaches built by Pullman in 1955-1956 had windows that could be opened vertically, despite the fact that the cars were built with air conditioning. However, I am not 100% certain of this detail.