• Alco PB-1 still out there

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by mandealco

Hi
I was very surprised to see this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/77007562@N03/30919744421
As soon as I saw the profile I had to look further. A quick search and a huge surprise. This is an ex-D&RGW PB-1 that was turned into a steam generator car. Ignore the EMD trucks and the GE fuel tank, this is the shell of D&RGW 600B. Looks like an Algoma Central Bear logo on the side, so where has she been all these years?
Cheers
Steve
NZ
  by mandealco

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Tom. I must go through my old Super-8 movie footage. In October 1980 I shot the Zephyr westbound out of Grandby, I wonder if the SGC was in the consist that day.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
  by Allen Hazen

I think that when Doyle McCormick (sp?) was looking for trucks to use in restoring one of the few remaining Alco PA, he found two pairs…
:-;
  by tgibson

He did, but as I remember they are actually FM trucks which are slightly different. They still look very good, though. :)