• ROW Sign (MEC?)

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by jfloehr

I purchased this sign at a Wells, ME antique shop several years ago for $80. While the sign was severely weathered, the faded white on black paint was evident, although the lettering itself was illegible (except for indentations). After much deliberation over its poor display condition, I elected to repaint the sign, with guidance from noted New Haven RR sign collector, Marc Frattasio. I suspect this sign’s heritage is Maine Central, Grand Trunk or perhaps Boston & Maine, but it was not marked. Maybe the sign was located in a roundhouse or engine yard, or adjacent to a freight car scale? I have searched my Trackside book library, and although there are many interesting ROW signs in the photo backgrounds, I could not find a similar sign. Any information on the sign’s purpose, location, heritage, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
  by TomNelligan

You're correct about the sign's purpose. Engines were not permitted on the track scales used to weigh loaded freight cars since their much greater weight could cause damage. I can't tell you where this came from, though. Probably every major railroad used them.