• LV location in Buffalo?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

Where is this location? I guess the easiest ID would be the bridge. Seems to be looking north. Which railroad is on the far right? Thanks,

Charles
s-l1600.jpg
  by BR&P

I'm not sure of the proper name of the place, but I think that's the NKP yard at or near Elk Street.
  by charlie6017

Buffalo Junction Yard, perhaps? Yes, it's looking railroad direction eastbound and "CP-DRAW" would
be to the photographer's back.

I could swear I've seen this photo in a book before.

Charlie
  by BR&P

I'd say the view is of the Seneca Street bridge, taken more or less compass north from the I-190 or whatever used to be there.. Note the NYC terminal in the distance of both pics. Elk street would be behind the photographer, and that was the NKP yard facility at left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8727031 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's an aerial shot which might help: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Elk+S ... 78.8373628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by colorado

Yes, the bridge in the view is Seneca Street, yards to the right are the old NKP Smith street yard, this had to be taken from the I190.

Tracks to the right I believe were NYC that crossed on the still existing draw bridge over the Buffalo River (Wanka's Bridge).

With the TOFC I suspect it's the Appollo but that used to change power and crews at Tifft Jct HArlem road between LV and NS back in the day. I suspect this was taken not long after the beginning ofConrail with the train running over former NYC to the NS and maybe interchange in South Buffalo. It's a long while ago so I could be wrong but I thought the D&H took over for the LV on the Apollo arrangement with NS and continued to change at Harlem Rd (Tifft Jct) but I could well be wrong.
  by nydepot

Photo label: "LV 322 GP38-2 Action on Van Train Buffalo NY 1973"
  by ctclark1

I could be messing up timelines, but this would've been before C-Day and before 48 was reconfigured, so wouldn't that still be BCK on the right? If I'm remembering my research correctly, NYC/PC never crossed at CP-Draw, it wasn't until Conrail that the NYC/PC drawbridge further west on the river was downsized as the "Compromise".

Also of note (at least, I find it interesting) the I-190 bridge this picture was taken from was built on the original LV alignment.

A final question on my part, is the LV train in question traversing the "Cadillac Curve" just beyond Seneca?
  by lvrr325

same picture is in LV In Color Volume 1, and possibly re-appears in another LV color book. What's that caption say? I can't get to mine at the moment.
  by nydepot

It's not in V1. I just looked through it.
  by Railroaded

To clear up all the questions & misinformation here: Thats' a Doug Elise photo from page 127 of the book Lehigh Valley Vol 2. Its' the LV's Aplollo - 1 running on the N&W. Shot from the 190 looking at Seneca St. Cadilac Curve is in the background where the midsection of train is wrapping around the bridge abutment to the left, & then hooking back hard right. The tracks are, left to right, N&W & then BCK. Photo date was 1-26-73. The N&W had their own bridge over the Buffalo River still in service then. The BCK's Buffalo River Bridge was next to it (now CP Draw), & the NYC crossed on their own bridge a few thousand feet downriver at RB (River Bridge).
  by nydepot

Thank you.

Charles
  by lvrr325

I knew it was in one of those books, had I been able to get to them to look I'd have corrected it.

Buffalo Central Terminal is visible in the background.

To look today it's hardly the same scene; Seneca St. Bridge has changed and is shorter. Tracks at far left are about the same, crossover is gone. Houses don't even look the same although they must be, you can find the church spires and the brick building in the Google Streetview image.
  by Railroaded

The basic sight lines are all still there, but to see it today, it looks completely different because of all the overgrowth, tall trees, & the rationalization of the trackage through the section from the photographer's standpoint to the old "FW" interlocking in the background. When I got into railfanning in the early 90s, it took me forever to try & understand where a lot of these not-so-long-ago scenes actually took place here because sooo much changed in the 1980s ConRail era track rationalizations that were made all over Buffalo. They eliminated anything & everything that was not absolutely necessary to their operations & they had a slash & burn policy on anything redundant or otherwise inefficient. There are no more diamonds there so none of the tracks cross over anymore, after they rerouted the main lines, everything is side by side & the rails just flow into the background now instead of the cluttered look it used to have. One map I have from the Triumph series of books on the Pennsy shows a plan of FW when there were 18 diamonds in that interlocking, all controlled w/o computers. Amazing.
  by Matt Langworthy

The same photo also appears on pages 24 & 25 of Conrail by Timothy Scott Doherty & Brian Solomon.
  by Railroaded

Speaking of that ConRail book, it has some excellent photos of Buffalo from the 1980s, just before they tore everything up. They have a shot of the old Gardenville branch bridge that once stood at Lake Ave, another one of River Bridge when it was still double track with Republic Steel in the background & seen from the tower, & a few more good ones around here.