• German steam- how do you say "clag" in German?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

"Most epic steam race - Dampflok Dreikönigsdampf Parallelfahrt auf der Schwarzwaldbahn." Schwarzwald - Black Forest?
At least one of them is pulled by a type 52 Kriegslok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t5hraJTkn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izwc7CA4W1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by george matthews

There are several rail lines in the Black Forest, though I have never travelled on them. I was hitching in the 1960s.
  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote:. I was hitching in the 1960s.
I did a lot of hitch-hiking when I was in the army, 1958 to 60. The army uniform helped.
  by kato

The routes across it are nowadays used by electric loco pulled double decker trains and EMUs (plus DMUs in one section) operating from the cities around the Black Forest. The route in the videos are one of only two double-track mountain routes in Germany.

The closest word to clag as used for steam engines in German is coloquially "Qualm" (literally: smoke).
  by philipmartin

j
kato wrote:The route in the videos are one of only two double-track mountain routes in Germany.

The closest word to clag as used for steam engines in German is coloquially "Qualm" (literally: smoke).
It must have taken some planing to tie up both tracks at the same time for the two steam trains.
Thank you for the term "qualm." I'll be able to use it when conversing with John the fireman. He might already know it since he know some Africanns.
  by philipmartin

j
kato wrote:The route in the videos are one of only two double-track mountain routes in Germany.

It must have taken some planing to tie up both tracks at the same time for the two steam trains.
Thank you for the term "qualm." I'll be able to use it when conversing with John the fireman. He might already know it since he speaks some Afrikaans.
  by johnthefireman

Afrikaans doesn't have much in common with German. But I did learn some choice swear words from the old Afrikaans drivers, many of them aimed at the Engelsman, rooinek or soti.
  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote: I did learn some choice swear words from the old Afrikaans drivers, many of them aimed at the Engelsman, rooinek or soti.
Are they still fighting the Boer War?
  by johnthefireman

During the apartheid era the railways were an Afrikaans stronghold with very few English-background employees. I recall one old driver telling me that during his time at the big loco shed at Capital Park in Pretoria, out of two hundred and seventy or so drivers, only three were English. So an Engelsman was definitely the underdog.
  by CP-4070

Hi guys,

the word "Qualm" is more for dirty clag, when it is white or in genereal, the word "Rauch" is also used. However, I am not sure how I should write you to pronounce it. :-D

Cheers, Andrew
  by philipmartin

Rauch is also a last name in the Pennsylvania Dutch farm country were I live. I had a plumber by that name, years ago.
Thank you for the bit of South African history, John. I sold tickets to some people from SA a few days ago. I told them that I converse with someone who visits Cape Town occasionally.
  by johnthefireman

"Rauch" sounds closer to the Afrikaans word for smoke, which I think is something like "rook".
  by philipmartin

Anyhow, the new steam engines that I posted about elsewhere don't make it, or not much in any case.
  by johnthefireman

I think you'll find that any steam loco can make clag if badly fired, or in some cases if poorly maintained. When you're doing a run past for photographers you're often encouraged to make dirty black smoke. Firemen hate it 'cos it really buggers up your fire.

What I find interesting is diesels making clag. There are occasions when you'd think it was a steam engine coming towards you (apart from the horrible diesel noise instead of the nice clean beat of a steam loco)!
  by philipmartin

I was working for Conrail in 1982 and we had a diesel on a way freight that didn't have a spark arrestor. When the engineer put the throttle in to get out of the yard there was a sheet of fire and sparks coming out of the exhaust stack. It set fires all along the right of way, and the local police called me to see if it had a hot box. I told him what the actual cause was and when the performance was repeated the next day, the policeman told me to inform management that in the future they would have to pay for the fire department trips to put out the fires it started. That fixed the problem.