• Hojack Plow Photos

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

What could be better on a hot August day than snowplow pics? :P I have tied myself to the task of uncovering my desk from all sorts of stuff STUFF STUFF today and came across this shot at Walker on the day described above. If I wait for appropriate weather I will misplace it sure as can be so here it is, scanned and posted!
NYC plow Walker NY 1977.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

OK, might as well scan the slides and post them too - it gets me out of clearing the desk! Image

Power was the 2340 and a covered wagon. Here's engineer Mickey Centrone at the throttle. I might mention this was maybe 2 weeks after the blizzard, the West Hojack was low priority and by the time they finally got around to plowing it the snow had settled and compacted greatly from when it first fell.
img240.jpg
Brakeman Marty Jensen - not a short man - gives an indication of the depth, as the engine and plows backed up to take another run at it.
img241.jpg
From the end of forward progress, looking east. The plow is about on the highway crossing, the depot would be just east of the road on the north side.
img242.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

Last ones.

They had a plow at each end. Here is the trailing plow at the road crossing at Walker.
img244.jpg
From the west plow, looking west. Somewhere I have 8mm movies of hitting that snow at about 20 mph!
img243.jpg
Farther west, the eastbound CTA was snowed in at Carlton. I'm not sure where the power was but here's the train, after they had a Payloader clear the snow from alongside as best they could.
img245.jpg
  by TB Diamond

The covered wagon mentioned in the plow train power consist was the 1725.
  by charlie6017

Great shots, thanks for posting them Don! :-D

Charlie