• Possible Providence & Worcester derailments Over The Years?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by whatelyrailfan

I became curious about this subject for two reasons: Reason #1-The company's EXCELLENT safety record, coupled with the fact that (Unlike a few RRs I could name) the P&W actually maintains it's equipment and trackage very well. Reason #2-I personally don't ever remember hearing of a major (or minor) P&W derailment. Now, I'm originally from Connecticut, which means I've been familiar with the P&W ever since I was a kid in the 1970s.
So: Anybody want to chime in?
Peace,
Jonathan
  by whatelyrailfan

Thanks for the reply, it confirms what I thought, that the P&W hasn't had the sort of history that some other railroads have. Probably good management from 1973 to the present (I wonder if Colin Pease ever tried to find work with the P&W and was turned down?)
Peace,
Jonathan
  by 161pw165

Jedijk88 wrote:while usually minor, they derail just like any other railroad. a few higher profile derailments involving hazmat have happened:

https://www3.epa.gov/region1/removal-si ... lment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was probably their biggest one. They also had a stone train go on the ground east of NH during a backup move that messed up Amtrak on the NEC either last year or year before. I can recall a couple minor ones in RI the last few years involving a few cars at most - 1 in Kingston and 1 in East Providence.
  by whatelyrailfan

Thanks for the replies, it confirms my whole point that like every railroad the P&W has had it's share of derailments over the years, but thanks to good management (Still wonder about 'ol Colin) they seem to be quite rare.
Peace,
Jonathan
  by MEC407

They also operate a lot less trackage than, say, Pan Am... and a decent amount of the trackage they use is owned by other people. Just something to keep in mind when comparing them to other railroads.
  by MEC407

Moderator note: topic moved to P&W forum.
  by whatelyrailfan

MEC407 wrote:They also operate a lot less trackage than, say, Pan Am... and a decent amount of the trackage they use is owned by other people. Just something to keep in mind when comparing them to other railroads.
You make a very good point particularly about some of the trackage being owned by someone else, however I was primarily thinking of another railroad that operates in Connecticut and Massachusetts that has probably 1/2 the trackage of the P&W, and yet SEEMS to have a derailment every third month or thereabouts. Anybody remember a photo of a derailment in the last seven years on that RR where it showed ( 1-2 boxcars If I remember correctly) leaning up against an old depot?
Also, it probably should have occurred to me to start the thread on this forum rather than the other, LOL.
Peace,
Jonathan
  by Backshophoss

Believe you mean HRRC,most of their track is owned by ConnDOT or MassDOT,wasted track repair money and seems to be run
by some ex-Guilford execs.