• CSX Re-routes To NYSW To Start This Week, Possibly....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by rcbsd45

Starting tomorrow NYS&W will become a major through route for the CSX via Syracuse gateway. To start 4 trains per day (2 east 2 west) will operate between Syracuse, NY and Little Ferry, NJ and onto Oak Island yard. Possibly more trains to come. This is a contract deal with long term operations. NYS&W hiring ten new T&E guys in Binghamton immediately. Road Pool has been increased by 4 already.The trains which are
expected to be run are the Q112, and Q156 eastbound, and the Q 271
and Q273 westbound. There were some questions last year with CSX over
the NYSW delaying the stack trains eastbound to add SU-100 traffic,
and I guess it was resolved. There are also plans to(eventually)
install a connection that would enable a direct connection to/from
the Southern Tier at Binghamton with the Northern Division, and
eliminate the need to do the push/pull towards the D&H/CP yard in
town. And to add what I know(not that its much) indicates that there
may still be SU-100's, but the 99's may be combined with the Q271 and
273 trains.... My understanding is that it is a trial period of 60
days with an option for a longer term operation after that. Part of
the reasoning is the congestion at Selkirk(although the past week or
so it seems to have levelled off somewhat), trackwork on the Mohawk
east of Syracuse reducing the double track main to a single track RR
in spots, and then the River Line trackwork expected to start within
several weeks. So, things should be come quite interesting oin the
NYSW over the coming months.... stay tuned, and more updates as
conditions and reports allow....

by ANDY117

So will they be turning on the signals East of Bingo again?

by n01jd1

ANDY117 wrote:So will they be turning on the signals East of Bingo again?
Did they ever turn the signals off? Of course with only 4-5 trains I guess they could still get by with form D's.

by rcbsd45

Signals were never turned off... There was supposed to be a petition submitted to the FRA for their offical OK to do so and make the railroad "dark territiry", but to date that hasn't happened... only time the signals go dark is due to a mechanical failure, but last report had them still intact and operating....

by ANDY117

Oh, i thought they had followed through. Whenever i go by, they are dark. But thenm again, with suck lgight traffic, it's probably no surprise.

by rcbsd45

Actually, most of the signals on that line are "approach lit", meaning that unless a train is actually in that block, the signals will be dark, as you note. There are some signals, such as CP Coles, and CP BD and most interlocking signals that do stay lit all the time, even displaying "stop" if nothing is in the area...

by CP169

Too bad the bridge at Park St in Syracuse wasn't built. It would have eliminated reverse moves at Solvay.

by GVrooman

I would like to see them build a new bridge over Bevier St. in Binghamton by Universal Instruments. Then they could bypass the CP altogether. It is really a bottleneck over there.

by GOLDEN-ARM

HEY, RCB, WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THEM HIRING ? DO YOU THINK THE SLOTS WILL COVER ROAD WORK, OR THE EXTRA BOARD RUNNING THE FORK, NORTHWARD ? JUST CURIOUS.....FRATERNALLY, G.A. :wink:
  by Matt Langworthy

Finally, CSX will begin to resolve their congestion by moving more traffic over Suzie-Q! :P The old EL lines will live another day...

by RSD15

CP169 wrote:Too bad the bridge at Park St in Syracuse wasn't built. It would have eliminated reverse moves at Solvay.

I don`t see what you mean here. the new bridge will have little if any affect on NYSW freight ops.when and if its ever built it will just extend the shuttle line to the trans center,baseball park and farmers market.

by charlie6017

So how many trains are actually being ran on the Susie-Q and the Tier to Bingo and back? I would like to explore the area around the June 29th to July 3rd timeframe. Any luck in daylight normally? Thanks in advance.

Charlie

by trainfreak

So far we are seeing 2 daily trains. Eastbound being SU403 and westbound is SU404. They have been running at relatively normal times with SU404 normally departing around 6 to 8 at night out of Little Ferry. But when the crew times get messed up they can run anytime like the SU99 today hit the Hudson Secondary around 5:50 am. Its hit or miss depending on how well the crew turns are going. And rumors have it they will start one more in each direction so time will tell.

by nysw3636

SU-403 hit the Hudson Secondary at 9:55am as well....

ASD