• Concord, NH PAR sighting

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Mike16

Hi everyone,

I have posted here before because I live in Portsmouth and I thank all of you for your help as I am new to
the area just a few months ago.

On my way to work, in Concord, this morning I saw a PAR unit with a small consist along 3A just south of the Blue Seal Feed company.
It was not moving, but it was clearly headed Northbound at around 7.20am this morning.
PAR 507.jpg
Any ideas on what that might be? As I said, I moved here from the Mid-Atlantic States and just trying to get my bearings
and research the rails in the area....I'm a huge former B&M fan (did a lot of excursions this way back in the late 70s'/early 80's), but much
has changed since that time I see.

Any help, suggestions, or train chasing ideas would be helpful.....hell, I'll chase after work someday!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BostonUrbEx

Given your info, I'd say NA-2 tied down and the train is awaiting a recrew by NA-1. There's two crews based out of Nashua that cover the customers on the Northern Main and Hillsboro Branch. NA-1 is on 0800 and I'm not sure about NA-2.
  by BowdoinStation

You must have been by the big car dealerships. I caught a local canned around that same spot about a month ago, with same engine, the famous 507. Usually the PAR crews will at least get the train to tie down by the Concord Tower, which is behind Sanel Auto Parts on Main Street (Route 3A). The local runs are called NA-1 by day, and NA-2 by night, and seem to run as needed with no real predictability to Concord, at least that's what I see. In Concord, behind the Storrs Street Plaza (Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory) is where the runaround track is. Watching the crews do sometimes double and triple runarounds can be very interesting. South of Concord is Bow, home to the unit coal trains for the power plant, though no coal trains have run since early December 2015. There seemed to be a massive coal stockpiling effort for a several months prior in order to survive the winter. Coal train power is from Norfolk Southern, occasional limestone train power of from the Providence and Worcester. There's also a small railroad, New England Southern that operates track Concord and north to the Lakes Region. There's a big story there. good people, and they will move some cars northward in the warmer weather. The have a nice SW1500 which is stored just off Exit 93. Welcome to Concord, maybe we'll see you around !
  by newpylong

Not sure where this place is but Trash cars have been coming into Deerfield on 14R for a Heritage Waste somewhere on the Northern...
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

newpylong wrote:Not sure where this place is but Trash cars have been coming into Deerfield on 14R for a Heritage Waste somewhere on the Northern...
Heritage Environmental? That's the closest match a Google search comes up with for "Heritage" and any combo of waste management synonyms. They have no locations or affiliates east of Albany and no rail spur at their Albany location. Nearest waste management sites in the Concord area are Concord Regional Solid Waste on Route 3 @ Merrimack St. about half-mile from the Northern. *Maybe* they load at the end of the street close to the Penacook Water Treatment plant, but it'd be awkward at best. Next-closest is Wheelabarator on the other side of the river next to...but not connected to...the White Mountain Branch. That one doesn't have any loading spot NEGS could access. Otherwise you're looking downtown clustered around the I-93/I-393 interchange for any waste management places. All of those would have to truck to what's left of the yard.
  by newpylong

12900047_868841456559157_1425795398_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by johnpbarlow

newpylong wrote:Not sure where this place is but Trash cars have been coming into Deerfield on 14R for a Heritage Waste somewhere on the Northern...
According to the NS D&H South and Southern Tier lines Facebook page, NS apparently has a new customer on the D&H South line in Nanticoke, PA that ships trash out in blue containers. Here's a terrific photo taken by Hank Rogers three days ago that he posted on the FB page showing the Taylor Yard-based local K81 crossing the Susquehanna River at Wilkes-Barre. I'm guessing these trash loads are forwarded from Taylor Yard north to Binghamton on the K82 turn where 14R might pick them up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
  by newpylong

Those trash containers are empty eastbound. Going to Nashua to get loaded with some type of contaminated material at the old Nashua Corp on the hillbilly branch
  by gokeefe

UN 3432 as noted on the container. PCB waste.

Interesting to note that contamination of this type was brought up as a concern some time ago.