• Hoosac Tunnel Rail Replacement

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by TPR37777

From the NERail Photo Archive;

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A1

Anyone know what is in the tunnel now? Jointed rail? I thought I read that the height clearance work a few years ago involved installing low profile stainless steel ties. I assumed new rail would have been installed at the same time.

by GP9

At the time when the ties were switched to steel, the rails probably had a few years left of life in them. Why replace the rail, if it does not need replacing? Railroads almost always replace the ties first during upgrades, then replace the rails later. It is kind of like road drainage projects. The drainage is improved one year, then the paving is replaced late the following year.

by CN9634

maybe they could bring some of that welded rail up this way. I was at Leeds Junction the other day watching one of the SD26's go through at about 15 MPH. I back ed up the car because I feared the unit would fall over onto it :-D

by CN9634

maybe they could bring some of that welded rail up this way. I was at Leeds Junction the other day watching one of the SD26's go through at about 15 MPH. I back ed up the car because I feared the unit would fall over onto it :-D

by NellsChoo

The track by the east portal is FRIGHTENING!! I sure hope they are going to work on that area with this new rail!