• NJ transit breakdowns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken W2KB

philipmartin wrote:Article says N.J. Transit trains break down at rate four times U.S. average.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/n-j-tra ... -1.1494910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It may imply that, which is an absolutely misleading comparison as from what is described in the linked news article, the number of breakdowns per agency are the raw numbers, not adjusted by number of trains operated, number of passengers per year, number of train miles operated or other similar means of a fair comparison. See what I mean from this brief quote:

"The railroad, the nation's second-largest by ridership, recorded 213 major mechanical failures, according to figures posted Friday by the National Transit Database. That was 19 percent more than in 2013 and the most in at least four years. Nationally, 24 commuter railroads had an average 52 major failures in 2014."
  by philipmartin

Ken may be right but there are a lot of breakdowns- trains taken out of service for mechanical reasons.
  by DutchRailnut

Also New York area railroad trains get 6 times amount of mileage of average Commuter operation.
  by chuchubob

Failure "rates" are not measured by failures per year, but by mean distance between failures.
  by kilroy

The article is a condensed rehash of a Bloomberg article from 01/06. Sorry, couldn't find a link.
  by bharatrao

Was on my usual ride #6406 on Thu (1/21), and were just pulling into NWK Broad right on schedule when everything went strangely silent. Sure enough, 3-4 minutes later we were told there was a problem and they had to "restart" the engine. 46 series I think. A couple of other MDs went by...and finally 20 min later they succeeded. Got to NY Penn 20 min late. How does this get accounted? As a breakdown or not?
  by DutchRailnut

delayed train , it did not need a tow job.