• long furlough with csx questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by newcastleskip

I am a new conductor with Csx out of New Castle ,Pa. Shortly after we were finished with are ojt and marked up as conductors ,we were furloughed.We were told at first that it would only last a month or two ,but now the rumor is that it could be until spring 2017 before being called back. It has already been 7 months...

Questions..
1. I was told that if furlough lasts longer than 1 year ,they send you back to the REDI when finally called back.Is this true? and would it also apply if you were granted a transfer to another location after being furloughed for more than a year?

2.Do they have to call you back? or after so long they no longer have an obligation to call everyone furloughed back?
  by newcastleskip

Gee...thanks for the input guys! 107 views and not 1 reply? lol I can see this forum is very useful.
  by DutchRailnut

maybe those questions are more for your Union than for Railfans.
  by EricL

DutchRailnut wrote:maybe those questions are more for your Union than for Railfans.
what he said ^^^

when you're a new guy, especially THAT new, I understand that tracking down the union guy and talking to him can be an intimidating venture. Especially if you're not actually officially, on-paper, represented by him/her yet. We all went thru the same kind of thing. But the advice given still stands. The worst that can happen might be that your LC is an a**hole, doesn't help at all, and you continue going it on your own. If he is a good chairman, he will give you some advice and give you some ideas about what's going on, or who to call. Find out who your local chairman is at the terminal where you marked up, and talk to him. Even if he's the type that seems to not have much use for you, chances are you'll still glean something from the exchange. You might not get the answer you want to hear, but it will be better than nothing - and it will also be better than talking to a company officer who will just string you along.
  by COEN77

newcastleskip wrote:Gee...thanks for the input guys! 107 views and not 1 reply? lol I can see this forum is very useful.
I'm pretty sure I answered some of your questions but it seemed to disappear. If you're furloughed for more than a year you would need to get caught up on doing a refresher course not sure about REDI maybe OJT plus getting current on operating rules etc. If you do a transfer working in the craft upon returning to the home terminal would require getting qualified back on the territory. They will call you back just have to make sure to keep a current address & phone number with the railroad.
  by csxhobo

I just seen your question. If no one has told you. You can go to another yard and qualify talk to your local chairman for help. If you transfer out of the Baltimore division you will lose what little seniority you have but it could keep you working. If you have access to the mainframe you can look at the different location where you can hold a turn on the extra list. Things are slow now so good luck.