Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 7 Train

I am currently reading 'The Great Gatsby' in spare time in high school. I have several comments about the book:
About half way between West Egg and New York the motor road hastily joins the railroad and runs beside it for a quarter of a mile, so as to shrink away from a certain desolate area of land. This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak, and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud, which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
The valley of ashes is bounded on one side by a small foul river, and, when the drawbridge is up to let barges through, the passengers on waiting trains can stare at the dismal scene for as long as half an hour.
(Chapter 2, pgs. 27-28)

As you many know the "Valley of Ashes" is the present-day Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. The author is referring to the Flushing River. There is no evidence today of a drawbridge on the Port Washinton branch at this point. If so, when was it removed?
Once I wrote down on the empty spaces of a time-table the names of those who came to Gatsby’s house that summer. It is an old time-table now, disintegrating at its folds, and headed “This schedule in effect July 5th, 1922.”
(Chapter 4, pg. 65)

Was there ever an actual timetable for the Port Washington branch published on that date?
All the lights were going on in West Egg now; the electric trains, men-carrying, were plunging home through the rain from New York.
(Chapter 5, pg. 101)
When was the PW branch electrified? Also what type of cars were running on the line when the book was written in 1924-25?

(All pages refer to the 1995 authorized complete edition.)

by Clemuel

Flushing Creek had a drawbridge, as shown protected by the signals east of "JC" Tower in this photo from Art Huneke. It was just east of Shea Yard, which wasn't called Shea back then:

This was the original Junction between the Port Washington (North Side) Branch and the Whitestone Branch, the remains of which pass behind the tower. I suppose the bridge was immobilized after the '39 Worlds Fair. Today it is nothing but a box culvert.

Clem

by Nasadowsk

The PW line got third rail in the '10s. The cars used would have been MP-54s, though DD-1s did pop up there for various reasons, and might have even pulled passenger trains. I doubt MP-41s ever ran on the PW - I think they primarilly ran out of FBA.

by 7 Train

Aerial view of Flushing River

It appears there is no longer any evidence of a bridge at this point. The Flushing River has been covered over with landfill, severing it.

by Dave Keller

ALL the ashes from Brooklyn and Queens were dumped at the Flushing site. It was one huge dump site.

My mother and her siblings (about 12 altogether that lived) grew up in the then-Italian community of Corona and were very poor. During the Great Depression, they would dig through the ashes in Flushing Meadows and dig out the occasionally-found unburned chunks of coal and bring them home to be used.

Here is data for you on the Port Wash branch:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/branch ... Washington

And here is data on the Whitestone branch, which, as Clemuel said, branched off just to the left (west) of "JC" tower which he posted from Art Huneke's site:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/branch ... Washington

Also, the communities of the "Eggs" in the "Great Gatsby" represented Little Neck and Great Neck.

Dave Keller

by NIMBYkiller

WTF!? I didn't know the PW(ok, Flushing-Great Neck) line was abandonned. Good thing they reopened it quickly.

by 7 Train

Dave Keller wrote:Also, the communities of the "Eggs" in the "Great Gatsby" represented Little Neck and Great Neck.
Actually "West Egg" was Great Neck and "East Egg" was Manhasset.

by Dave Keller

Oh well . . .. I was close :wink:

Haven't read that book since High School English class in the late 60s.

Dave Keller