• View from US Cellular Field

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by dhaugh

Folks,

I got a chance to get to a White Sox game vs my visiting Twins earlier this year, and considering the company I was with, we spent a lot of time at the top of the stadium viewing RR action to the west and south. What I haven't figured out, based on the maps I have (including a huge, detailed map put out by Indiana Harbor Belt), is what tracks we were by. Directly to the west of the stadium, a lot of intermodal cars were stored, and an Amtrak raced by at one point. But, south of there (we were sitting along the left field line, looking across the stadium) we could see a track that seemed to cross or branch off toward the west or northwest, and this one saw a number of trains during the game. Dave

by metrarider

The tracks that are immediately west of US Cellular Field running north/south are Amtrak's connector to Union Station. This sees Amtrak trains running eastbound including the Lake Shore Limited, Michigan Trains and Three Rivers.

As far as the tracks you saw further south, I can guess that you were seeing the Norfolk Southern tracks.
  by JustaBill

dhaugh wrote:Folks,

I got a chance to get to a White Sox game vs my visiting Twins earlier this year, and considering the company I was with, we spent a lot of time at the top of the stadium viewing RR action to the west and south. What I haven't figured out, based on the maps I have (including a huge, detailed map put out by Indiana Harbor Belt), is what tracks we were by. Directly to the west of the stadium, a lot of intermodal cars were stored, and an Amtrak raced by at one point. But, south of there (we were sitting along the left field line, looking across the stadium) we could see a track that seemed to cross or branch off toward the west or northwest, and this one saw a number of trains during the game. Dave
I'm an engineer that runs this line. The tracks to the west are former Conrail Chicago line. Amtrak and Metra run on it down to Union Station, and we have a couple of trains a day down to the BNSF that way. The intermodal yard directly behind the stadium is owned by the UP and operated by Chicago Rail Link. Our 55th St yard is directly south of that. The trains you saw turning west goes toward Ashland Ave yard and our connections with the BNSF and UP.

by AmtrakFan

What is the name of the UP yard?

by geep74444

That would be canal st yard.