• NS unveils EL heritage unit

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by Matt Langworthy

Former EL #3669 has been restored to her original EL colors by NS's Chattanooga shop. The SD45-2 was #6654 under Conrail ownership and was renumbered to 1700 (along with 5 other ex-EL SD45-2s) by NS. She looks really sharp. NS has assigned their SD45-2s to the CSAO area, but it wouldn't surprise me if #1700 "managed" to get on the Southern Tier Mainline.

A great picture:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 82&nseq=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by amtrakhogger

They need to get the other two (Erie and DL&W) heritage units with the 1700 on a train for an EL "post merger" lashup.
  by Windseeker1

I read elsewhere that 1700 is equipped with special equipment for hump use and is thus not likely to wander far from the yard.
Then again, NS is really surprising me with how far they go these days to pay homage to railroad history so here is to hoping they send it on a Tier run "just because" someday.
  by Leo_Ames

If anyone's worried that they're doing this with a museum donation in mind (That was the initial story with the earlier Southern SD40, which apparently isn't accurate), I'd say that this one is certainly safe. They're rebuilding large numbers of EMD's of this vintage and she has a 16-645 that makes her essentially a SD40-2 internally. And she was the recipient of several cab upgrades a few months ago. So clearly, they intend to keep her around for a while.

I bet the Erie Lackawanna fans that were disappointed that a new ES44AC or SD70ACe wasn't flying those colors are now glad. This quite possibly may of not happened had the merged road been represented in their earlier program. The only thing better than a brand new locomotive in EL colors, is an original one returned to that paintscheme. :)
  by D.Carleton

Leo_Ames wrote:I bet the Erie Lackawanna fans that were disappointed that a new ES44AC or SD70ACe wasn't flying those colors are now glad.
Why, yes! We are. Now put her on the point of a hot pig train pointed to Chicago. She knows the way.
  by bk77

The 1700 was reportedly in Allentown today, and will likely come east on either the 32A or 18G.

Now... the 32A's power has commonly been used the following night on the H70 up the Bergen County line in the past. Thats not saying it will definitely end up on the H70 should it come into Croxton, but its probably its best chance as NS 45-2's are pretty much captive to Oak Island/Browns yard turns aside from OI hump service. Regardless... now's a good time to keep eyes peeled as it seems it'll be here in NJ in the very near future (unless it surprisingly gets sent somewhere else from Allentown... sometimes you just never know with the railroad).
  by waldwickrailfan

bk77 wrote:The 1700 was reportedly in Allentown today, and will likely come east on either the 32A or 18G.

Now... the 32A's power has commonly been used the following night on the H70 up the Bergen County line in the past. Thats not saying it will definitely end up on the H70 should it come into Croxton, but its probably its best chance as NS 45-2's are pretty much captive to Oak Island/Browns yard turns aside from OI hump service. Regardless... now's a good time to keep eyes peeled as it seems it'll be here in NJ in the very near future (unless it surprisingly gets sent somewhere else from Allentown... sometimes you just never know with the railroad).
18G goes to Oak Island
32A goes to Croxton

Therefore it will go on 18G. Also, H70's power has been coming off of whichever train comes in elephant style, or a random set, which is mostly 24Z or 20E. I havent seen 32A's power go on H70 in months
  by bk77

waldwickrailfan wrote:
bk77 wrote:The 1700 was reportedly in Allentown today, and will likely come east on either the 32A or 18G.

18G goes to Oak Island
32A goes to Croxton

Therefore it will go on 18G. Also, H70's power has been coming off of whichever train comes in elephant style, or a random set, which is mostly 24Z or 20E. I havent seen 32A's power go on H70 in months
Gotcha.... I haven't kept up with the H70's in a while, but knew they would get the 32A power fairly commonly a while back. Thanks for the update!

As for the 1700, it went strait to Oak Island as expected.