• Looking for Camelbacks in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by hioo1

Well, I am going to attempt to model the Reading Railroad around 1900-ish (give or take ten years) on the West trenton line (Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad) and I know they were really big on Camelbacks. And I was wonder who make turn of the century Camelbacks or does anyone have any idea on how to scratch build one in HO? Thanks.

by Camelback

The best camelbacks are produced by Mantua, now owned by Model Power. Great model that can pull the plaster off your walls. IHC also makes a camelback. Not as good as Mantua's but decent for the price.

by CNJ999

I'm afraid camelback pickings in HO are pretty meager. As hioo1 indicates, Mantua (one example is now available new through Model Power) offered nice 4-6-2, 2-8-0, and 2-8-2 examples. Most unfortunately, they are models of LV equipment which were highly atypical in appearance compared to just about any other road's camelbacks (particularly the Reading and CNJ). For a time Mantua also offered 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 camelback switchers, the former being base on an actual Reading prototype. These (as well as the larger Mantua engines) can be found on eBay at reasonable prices and are era-appropriate for you.

The currently available IHC 2-6-0 Mogul camelback appears to be loosely based on those of the NYO&W. Unfortunately, their proportions (particularly the cab) are rather questionable. However, they do run fairly well and are certainly representative of circa 1900 engines. It should be possible to kitbash an acceptable 4-4-0 camelback by mounting a camelback boiler shell on to IHC's regular 4-4-0 mechanism.

Back around 1960 AHM/HO Train Co. offered in diecast metal a pretty faithful representation of a CNJ 4-6-0 camelback of the sort typically used in passenger service. These, too, turn up on eBay but are often found to be suffering from zamac rot (zamac "pest") and can fall appart in your hands!

Obviously, the choice of camelbacks in brass is much wider and many are road specific with a great selection of RDG engines. Starting at around $300 and going up to at least as high as $1500-$2000 (for an 0-8-8-0 Erie monster!), I'm rather sure these aren't the sort of engines you are looking for.

CNJ999