• Norfolk Southern Hiring

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by NJTforever

On Monday I got a call from Norfolk Southern telling my that I have to get a physical and background check done. Then they would offer me a conditional employment. I am 18 years old and fresh out of high school, working for the railroad has always been a dream of mine. So this is my chance and i want to do it right the first time. May you guys help me get it right.
My question to you guys are the following
What may disqualify you that may show up in the physical and background check?

How is NS's conductor school (experience, atmosphere, etc)?

What do I need to study, as of now?

Also you guys have any tips so I can make it through school?

Also i'm open to anything, partaking to the position that i might of left out. Anything, please

Thank You for your time :-)
  by NJTforever

Someone Please
  by COEN77

There's plenty of info already on this employment section available. As for a physical eye sight such as color blindness, back & knee problems etc... would be some of the disqualifiers. Can't think of anything to pre-study in advance of getting hired.
  by gp80mac

NJTforever wrote: How is NS's conductor school (experience, atmosphere, etc)?

What do I need to study, as of now?

Also you guys have any tips so I can make it through school?

Also i'm open to anything, partaking to the position that i might of left out. Anything, please

Thank You for your time :-)
1. Conductor school is a 3 week stint outside of Atlanta. I wasn't fond of that area - too hot, too many people, not enough roads, etc. Stay out of trouble, more than a few trainees have been fired for things they did while down there. It's supposed to be training - not a vacation. Stay away from the idiots (many of which will be in your classes).

2. Nothing. They'll give you all you need to know. It isn't rocket science.

3. Study a little, and stay out of trouble. A well-trained dog could probably pass the school. It's not Yale.

4. Give up on the "greatest dream realized" attitude. While some may find certain parts of the job enjoyable, there's a lot of other crap you will get to deal with that you don't get to see from the sidelines. Don't believe the crap about how you'll be making $100,000+ every year (or you will be an engineer within a year or two). While some places in some terminals you can make that, many other jobs (esp. those that allow you to have somewhat of a life outside of work) pay considerably less. Don't go nuts and buy a new Ram 3500 Dually and 36' bass boat when you get your first paycheck.

Thing with hiring out at 18 - while you will be get decent seniority quickly, and be making more money than others your age - you will also be giving up your early 20s working on extra lists, probably. It's going to be a hell of a sacrifice; but others have done it. Looking back - would have I hired out again? I can't say that I would. The railroad is losing all sense of being a railroad anymore. It's all regulation, all nanny-state management from clueless folks, and lowering standards to the lowest common denominator anymore. Granted that's about any job anymore, but as I gt older, I think I want something with a real schedule anymore. Money is worthless without time.
  by GE45tonner

Get 5 or so years with NS and then start looking at amtrak or commuter rail agencies to apply for. MUCH better lifestyle.