• Grade Signal on Westbound Montauk

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SK2MY

To all:

There was a recent thread about the letter "G" on a signal mast on the Westbound Montauk (east end of the Receiving Yard.) Someone mentioned that it was an indicator as to where Gas lines were present under the tracks. I found out (from a reliable source) that the signs are in fact Grade Signal markers. I know that the only 3 grade signals are on Montauk 2 (3rd, 4th and 5th block signals east of Bliss), but these markers were used for contact shoe scrapers. In the past, M of E would install shoe scrapers on contact shoes for the purpose of scraping ice off of the third rail. They were installed on the WB Montauk and then the equipment would proceed west and trail into Montauk 1 to enter the main track. As the train proceeded east on the WB Montauk, the "G" would indicate the presence of the uphill grade. These shoe scrapers are no longer used as it was found to cause damage to the third rail.
  by freightguy

Thanks I was the one that asked about that sign. That would also explain the mu marker that is up on the top of the hill on that track, which I wanted to inquire about. I figured there had to be third rail at some point in time there. Several fellow employees have sent me out to manually remove the ASC at that location! :-)

by SK2MY

Actually, there is no third rail there at all. Even when the WB Montauk trails into Montauk 1, there is no third rail. The WB Montauk, I guess, was a convenient location for that piece of equipment to start out from. After the scraper shoes were put on, the equipment left that area and made its rounds wherever it was needed.

by bluebelly

ha and all of you thought I was nuts when I said it was a grade signal marker :-D

by jayrmli

I think the question was what was the G sign while traveling eastbound on the Westbound Montauk track in Jamaica within Jay's Interlocking. This is not the 3 grade signals on the Lower Montauk.

Jay
  by trackml2

The "G" does stand for grade and it applies to freight trains that meet certain specs (90 or more cars or having tonnage of 80 % or more of the prescribed engine rating) they can pass a Stop and Proceed signal as though it was a Restricting aspect was displayed or else they would never make it up the hill. That simple.