• REDI Feb 16, 2015

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Miz860

Well good morning all, as I stated in my other thread I was gonna start another thread based on my experience at the REDI but I am looking for info on what I need while down there. It can be anything, I have not received the email from REDI telling me what I need to bring but I would like to get a head start on buying whatever I need, so if any of you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
  by Miz860

Is there anyone else on here scheduled to go to REDI on the 16th of February????
  by csxnewcomer

Hey, I start Feb. 9th at REDI for freight conductor. I just got my email Monday for reporting instructions.
High-top (6-inch or more) lace-up boots with a defined heel and oil resistant soles.
Jeans and Work pants
Prescription glasses (if worn). Transition lenses are not acceptable eyewear.
Clothing suitable for working outdoors and seasonal conditions
A wristwatch with the ability to display seconds. (Cellular phones cannot be substituted; watches with GPS features are restricted)
Notepad, pen, highlighters, note cards, etc
Rain Gear, Backpack, 4x6 Family photo (optional)
Hopefully this helps you.
  by Miz860

Thank you..... I literally got the email today . I start on 1st shift.
  by csxnewcomer

Yeah, It looks like everyone does, but the shifts could change. Anyone know about the Cayce yard in SC? I'll be moving there, trying to find a place to live. I understand Lexington is the better place to live.
  by Miz860

Well I have gotten everything that I think I need for training... is there anyone else that is going to be at the REDI for the Feb 16 class. I decided to fly down because it is a 12 and a half hour drive there from philadelphia. If there is anything that people suggest that I take down there that is not in the email that they send please advise me as to what I should take. Thank you for your time..
  by Miz860

Well made it to Atlanta last night. Staying at the Extended Stay Hotel.... it is much nicer than expected. It is 0543 and I am waiting for the bus to pick us up to go to REDI..... I will update if I can...
  by Miz860

Well day 1 is down the drain....there wasn't really anything to report today..... pay attention to everything you are told.... follow all rules they are in place for a reason. Don't come down acting like a know it all because you don't know anything...
  by Miz860

Well week 1 down the drain. This week is all basic information. I already spoke about day 1 so I will go to day 2.

Our class of 48 was split into 2 seperate classes. My class has 25 people in it. We went over basic railroad knowledge. On Wednesday we had our 1st quiz on the basic knowledge stuff from the day before, I got a 100 on that quiz, we also did a practice ladder hang. I also took 1 of the 3 signal test that day, wayside signals and got a 100 on that which is the only way you pass the signals test at all, I also took the switches test which you need a 100 on as well. We started reviewing safety part 1.

On Thursday we went over safety part 2 did another practice ladder test and I tried to take my 2nd signal test which was aspects but got 4 wrong. No big deal most people don't try any signal test until about week 3 so I'm well ahead.

On Friday we had a quiz on the safety which I got another 100 on and I tried the aspect signal test again and got a 100 on it that time. Yeaaa 1st week and 2 of the 3 signal test are done along with the switches test, like I said I am way ahead of the game.... we went over some computer knowledge and was told that we will be going to 2nd shift for week 2.

Well now I am going to study for my week 1 test tomorrow. Wish me luck and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
  by Philly117

Miz860 wrote:Well week 1 down the drain. This week is all basic information. I already spoke about day 1 so I will go to day 2.

Our class of 48 was split into 2 seperate classes. My class has 25 people in it. We went over basic railroad knowledge. On Wednesday we had our 1st quiz on the basic knowledge stuff from the day before, I got a 100 on that quiz, we also did a practice ladder hang. I also took 1 of the 3 signal test that day, wayside signals and got a 100 on that which is the only way you pass the signals test at all, I also took the switches test which you need a 100 on as well. We started reviewing safety part 1.

On Thursday we went over safety part 2 did another practice ladder test and I tried to take my 2nd signal test which was aspects but got 4 wrong. No big deal most people don't try any signal test until about week 3 so I'm well ahead.

On Friday we had a quiz on the safety which I got another 100 on and I tried the aspect signal test again and got a 100 on it that time. Yeaaa 1st week and 2 of the 3 signal test are done along with the switches test, like I said I am way ahead of the game.... we went over some computer knowledge and was told that we will be going to 2nd shift for week 2.

Well now I am going to study for my week 1 test tomorrow. Wish me luck and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Good job on your tests!

Did you start studying for them when you got there or did you have any sort of material beforehand? Switches aren't too bad but the signals can get slightly confusing. Good luck on your next exams!
  by Miz860

[/quote]

Good job on your tests!

Did you start studying for them when you got there or did you have any sort of material beforehand? Switches aren't too bad but the signals can get slightly confusing. Good luck on your next exams![/quote]

No I didn't have any material at all regarding any part of this job before hand. Just got the book made flash cards and started studying my butt off. I was gonna try to knock out indications in week 2 but there is gonna be alot of info giving this week so I will do that week 3 or 4. Anyway I didn't do as good as I wanted to on my test. Only got a 96. It was my fault 2 questions I read part of the question and picked the wrong answer... oh well I will do better.
  by BobLI

What exactly is a switches test? I can understand the signal test but never heard of a switches test.
  by Miz860

BobLI wrote:What exactly is a switches test? I can understand the signal test but never heard of a switches test.
Basically you see a picture of a switch and you have to look at it and determine which way the train would go the choices are A or B. It was very simple
  by Miz860

Good morning all,

I am still here it is week 4 for us. This is probably the best week here because it is no classroom time. You are outside all week. Just a FYI anyone coming down to be a conductor now the course has gone from 6 weeks to 5 weeks. Week 2 was probably the hardest week especially for us because we had everything pushed back 1 day due to a possible snow storm. Well no snow fell and we still had the day off. On the week 2 test i got my first grade other than a 96 or 100, i got a 90. I was pissed off but bounced back 2 days later and got a 96 on my midterm. Well still going strong counting the days. Over half way through so see you guys soon.
  by gobucks90

Thanks for the update.

Interesting that they shortened yours by a week. I head down there on sunday, i guess i'll have to watch my email to see if they send a message about the change to 5 weeks from 6.